Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,058 Posts

Next business venture

So you may have read in the beer thread that I am on a journey to open a craft beer tap house. My original plan was to find the perfect location and open here in Surprise, Arizona (new up and coming suburb of Phoenix). I would offer plenty of craft beer choices, as well as a small, high quality, tapas style menu.

The woman I'm dating has a sister who owns a place up in the high mountains of AZ with cabin rentals and a restaurant on the property (they own a real estate brokerage in Phoenix as well). We have been going up there running the place off and on this spring/summer to get the experience for running our own place.

My disdain for the desert and love of the mountains has completely changed my direction. I fell in love with the cooler temps, pine trees, and fresh air (something I've been missing for the last 11+ years since moving to the desert). I realized I can't deal with the dusty, hot desert anymore. I also fell in love with the place, and (surprisingly) the cabin rental aspect. I have since convinced her to sell. They weren't passionate about the place, and it was an investment for them, so this is a win/win.

The property is just over 3 acres nestled in the pines (though it has an excellent amount of sought after highway frontage). It has 6 rental cabins with room for more. There's a small pond on the property, and 2 lakes within walking distance. There is a large historic cabin built in the late 1800's with endless possibilities (she's currently using it as a antique retail space). The restaurant is doing extremely well while serving mediocre food with a poorly trained staff. I will be completely rebranding this and will change the menu.

There is also a large, completely empty building with all glass walls. I'm going to convert this into a craft beer tap house. It has amazing views in the summer, and the winter will be awesome with snowy pines. I'll have gas fire pits inside with relaxing/lounge style seating and a single L bar. Just behind this is a large grassy empty area that will be perfect with tables as an outdoor bar area, and we'll put in some horseshoe pits and have come cornhole ramps.

The area is a huge tourist town for people coming up from the Phoenix area in the summer to escape the heat/play in the mountains, and in the winter to hit the ski/snowboard mountain right there and play in the snow. They do extremely well with ZERO advertising and losing a large portion of the locals in the first year by mis-running the place. The potential is endless in my eyes.

I'll post some pictures soon. I'm super excited and hope to close in March 2017.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

donhardeone (07-12-2016), Gink (07-12-2016), Major Stains (07-12-2016)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    HC, this sounds like an opportunity you can't pass up.
    I'm a big believer in fate and that everything happens for a reason.
    Best of luck with everything over the coming months.

And remember to just give your export man the nod when you are ready to go global ;) I'm very cheap, and promise to sample just 50% of all stock received (Stains Duty)
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (07-13-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 821 Posts
    Awesome. You're way more likely to get me to come drink beer with you in the mountains than in the $%#!*&@ desert.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Sounds like my kind of place HC. Just a pity you are so far away otherwise I might of dropped by with my camping tent!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Wow - sounds great! So when are we organising a Team MP get together? If we say 2018 that should give HC enough time to get the place kitted out with enough PS4s and XBOnes to keep us going, plus give us time to save up.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (07-13-2016), Major Stains (07-13-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    Wow - sounds great! So when are we organising a Team MP get together? If we say 2018 that should give HC enough time to get the place kitted out with enough PS4s and XBOnes to keep us going, plus give us time to save up.
    I've thought about this. I'm going to have a couple NES consoles in there for sure.

Don't plan your trips too early! I still have go over all the numbers and books, then qualify for an SBA loan. Don't think it will be a problem though.
    Last edited by HardlyCapable13; 07-13-2016 at 11:11 AM.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

FNG
    Thanks
    That sounds really cool HC...

Here is the website for a place in my town that has EXPLODED in popularity since it started a few years ago: http://www.logboatbrewing.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZBRB View Post
    That sounds really cool HC...

Here is the website for a place in my town that has EXPLODED in popularity since it started a few years ago: http://www.logboatbrewing.com/
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Still looking over the numbers. A long way to go.

Thanks
    Really cool. Super jealous. I thought about opening a tap house and them in turn using the profits to start my own brewing operation about 8 years ago. There were already 4 breweries in town. I thought maybe I had missed the boat. However, there are now 3 cider houses, 2 tap houses, and 12 breweries in this town. Turns out I wouldve been right on time.

Good luck to you.