Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Bethesda just announced that mods WILL BE COMING to Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition on PS4!!!!!!

In addition, Skyrim Special Edition will support Native 4k rendering on Playstation Pro.

Guessing Sony got enough complaints that they reversed course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borlaxx View Post
    Bethesda just announced that mods WILL BE COMING to Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition on PS4!!!!!!

In addition, Skyrim Special Edition will support Native 4k rendering on Playstation Pro.

Guessing Sony got enough complaints that they reversed course.
    Can't wait to see all the fanboys who were previously saying the lack of mods was no big deal, now come around full circle and say how Sony is the best and this is amazing news. lol
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 821 Posts
    I've never been much for mods even on PC, though there are some cases where mods actually made games playable and sorted things the Devs never quite got fixed (I'm looking at you S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC). I doubt I'd mod FO or Skyrim much, but I was still irked to hear that Sony was standing in the way of mods coming to PS4. The original size limit issue, then rejecting the mods... I guess they might have technical reasons for it, but they shouldn't. This is the era of x86 gaming. Consoles, PCs, it's all basically the same hardware and should offer a lot of the same options and flexibility.

I am surprised to see Sony reverse their decision on this. I figured the mods vs no mods would have some impact on sales, but with the PS4 soundly dominating sales this generation, I wasn't sure that Sony would care that much about what the consumers want at this point.

Thanks
    Nobody caved. Sony got what they wanted/needed to allow the mods. You may mod anything that is in the game. But you can not download new stuff from untested 3rd party or something like that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Suby_Greg View Post
    Nobody caved. Sony got what they wanted/needed to allow the mods. You may mod anything that is in the game. But you can not download new stuff from untested 3rd party or something like that.
    Huh. Would be interested to know the specifics. When Bethesda previously revealed that Sony was blocking the mods, I kept waiting for a WHY. The reason they were blocking them. Never heard any details.

How is this handled on XBox? Do mods have to be approved before being available? Or is it just a free for all?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Suby_Greg View Post
    Hmm, so limited modding using only pre-existing assets. They didn't mention any size limits this time. Security does seem like the most likely excuse, but if it hasn't been an issue on PC and X1, why would it be an issue on PS4?
    I could also see being concerned with stability, but that just goes hand in hand with mods. Anyone who uses mods should expect that the more you stack on, the more likely everything will fall apart. Modern consoles should keep running applications 'sandboxed' well enough that the game crashing doesn't effect the rest of the system.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Don't think Sony reversed their decision or blocked the mods for no reason in the first place, that's just what Bethesda said. If anything was to happen to customers accounts or consoles caused by mods I bet people will be falling over each to "sue" Sony for allowing mods. Very much doubt Sony would just say screw mods, we don't give a shit. People get hyped & critical way too quickly in the gaming community.

Thanks
    I'm sure they had a reason. Doesn't change the fact that everyone else has managed to find ways to allow mods without it bringing about the end of the world.
    The hardware is all more or less the same, so what's up with Sony's software? I'm sure folks would be just as eager to sue MS is Xbox mods caused security problems, I guess maybe they'd just already been planning for mods and had their software ready for it?

Who knows, it's all conjecture unfortunately. I'd love to know the whys and whatfors, but it's not seeming like anyone is going to release any details.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,545 Posts
    "Despite not being released until this Friday, October 28, Bethesda is already accepting console mod submissions for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition. But it's accepting far more on Xbox One than PS4.
    At time of writing, looking at each platform's Bethesda.net listings (Xbox One here, PS4 here) reveals 65 mods for Xbox One and just 10 for PS4. All 10 of the PS4 mods are also available on Xbox One.
    That discrepancy seems to come down to one important difference between Microsoft and Sony's tolerance for modding - Microsoft will allow external assets (user-created models that don't appear in the game) while Sony will not.

Essentially, the majority of PS4 mods will be efficiency measures or useful/interesting tweaks to the existing game, while Xbox One users will be able to add Dwarven railroads, survival mode add-ons or murderous new stickmen followers with Thomas the Tank Engine characters for heads.
    Some of the problem may also stem from the fact that Xbox One allows for up to 5GB of mods to be installed, while PS4 only allows for 1GB, although most mods that use no external assets fail to exceed over 1MB in size - currently, no available PS4 mod is bigger than around 300KB."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/10/25/there-are-already-6-times-more-mods-for-skyrim-special-edition-on-xbox-one-than-ps4

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast