Thanks

Looking To Buy 4k TV

Last night when we were in Best Buy to get my son an XBone and a small TV for his room, much to my surprise my wife expressed an interest in getting a 4k TV. Once I got past the initial shock and informed her of the the differences in specs for the TVs available and that a bigger TV does not equal a better TV, she asked me to do some research regarding what is the best choice.

Here is what I know.

- I want a minimum of 49 inch screen size with maximum of 55 inches.
    - HDR is a must, preferable both HD10 and Dolby (although I understand HD10 is likely to win).
    - 120hz refresh rate is a must, and I mean the real rate, not the jargon the companies use now.
    - Looking at LED, because OLED are just too expensive.
    - I do not want, and do not need, 3D.
    - A smart TV with Netflix so I can stream 4k videos is a big plus. While the new Xbox can output in 4k, it will be remaining in my son's room.

Are there other things I should consider? Is one manufacturer better than others at this point? I have only bought Samsung HD TVs, and the 48 inch one started to have light bleeding and stripping issues after only 5 years and now 8 years out the screen is terrible, but I routinely hear the make the best TVs and my other smaller one by them is fine, so willing to buy another one.

This was the 49 inch model I was considering, even thought I HATE the legs: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=5112802

This was the 55 inch model I was considering, even though once again I hate the legs: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...?skuId=5034800

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,543 Posts
    I absolutely love Philips TV's. They tend to be on the cheaper side in price but not quality. I have 3 and two are running nearly 16 hours per day and have so for 6 years. Not even a dip in image quality.

Also have had good luck with LG and Sharp. On the flip side I had nothing but problems with Sony and Toshiba.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks
    Where do you buy Philips TVs? They aren't at Best Buy or Target.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,543 Posts
    Best Buy sells them here.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    For an entry level 4K unit I was toying between Panasonic and Samsung.
    In the end I opted for the Samsung because reading between the lines it gave better performance for gaming over movies, as that is what I use it most for funnily enough.
    That being said the Samsung panels are prone to 'Dirty Screen' and Uniformity issues. It basically comes down to luck of the draw whether you get a decent panel or one with a few smudgy areas around the edges. If you get one with DS then you have to decide whether it is tollerable or you swap it for another unit.
    Apart from that, it is a really neat TV and has been perfect for my needs.

I recommend pouring through this site, as they seem to give some really good, thorough reviews on most units out there. (I think there is a US version)
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borlaxx View Post
    Are there other things I should consider?
    Well since we're gamers, and you're asking, you MUST look at input lag. If you get Vizio in your country (sadly we don't) they are fantastic!

"When it matters
    Input lag only matters for playing video games, either on a console or on a PC.

With fast-paced games like shooters and fighting games, quick reflexes are key. Lower input lag can mean the difference between a well-timed reaction and a move that takes too long to register and ends up countered by the opponent before it can ever be performed. This lag doesn’t matter for watching movies, though, so unless you’re a gamer and are worried about PC peripheral lag, or Nintendo, Xbox One, or PS4 controller input lag (or other controllers too), you have nothing to worry about. Most people will not notice under 50 ms of input lag while more competitive gamers should look for a TV that can do below 40 ms. Almost everyone will also find anything over 100 ms terrible to play with."

source - www.rtings.com

Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll make it whissle;
    An legs an arms, an heads will sned

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeadsWilSned For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (09-16-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    I recommend pouring through this site, as they seem to give some really good, thorough reviews on most units out there. (I think there is a US version)
    Absolutely! Excellent site.

US = www.rtings.com

Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll make it whissle;
    An legs an arms, an heads will sned

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeadsWilSned For This Useful Post:

Gink (04-25-2017), Major Stains (09-16-2016)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    For an entry level 4K unit I was toying between Panasonic and Samsung.
    In the end I opted for the Samsung because reading between the lines it gave better performance for gaming over movies, as that is what I use it most for funnily enough.
    That being said the Samsung panels are prone to 'Dirty Screen' and Uniformity issues. It basically comes down to luck of the draw whether you get a decent panel or one with a few smudgy areas around the edges. If you get one with DS then you have to decide whether it is tollerable or you swap it for another unit.
    Apart from that, it is a really neat TV and has been perfect for my needs.

*Update*

For anyone interested, my 11 month old 4K Samsung had several areas of 'Dirty Screen' that I was not happy to live with on a £500+ set of that age. My wife didn't think it was a problem, but maybe because she didn't pay for it or spend a fraction of the time on it as I do.
    As the TV came with a 5 year guarantee, the suppliers put my complaint on to Samsung thinking they would send someone over to take it away to be fixed.
    Last week, I had a call to say a technician will be over today to swap out the front panel there and then.
    Speaking to him he said it wasn't just a Samsung issue, and is common with the current generation of panels across the board.
    He mentioned the brand new one he swapped over could be the same if not worse, it is just luck of the draw.
    Fortunately it was a decent panel, took half an hour to swap it out and back on the wall, and no more 'Dirty Screen'.
    The repair guy also mentioned of all the makes within that market (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc) he personally prefers Samsung everytime.

Just thought I'd let you know incase anyone was wondering about any possible faults that face this current generation of LED panels.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (11-03-2016), Gink (04-25-2017), GRRowl74 (11-02-2016), HeadsWilSned (11-02-2016), TonkaToys (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    I bought the 49 ks8000. I am very happy with it.

Watch the HDR stuff tho. Plenty of tvs say HDR, but it isn't HDR 10... it's like HDR 8 or something. Samsung ku models aren't HDR 10. But the ks models are