Thread: R.I.P. 3D TVs

Thanks

R.I.P. 3D TVs

"The last two TV-makers to build 3D functionality into their sets, LG and Sony, will not build any new sets this year that can show 3D movies and TV shows, CNET reports."

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-tv-is-dead-2017-1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (01-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Sad really - all that money wasted on unsupported tech.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 800 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    "The last two TV-makers to build 3D functionality into their sets, LG and Sony, will not build any new sets this year that can show 3D movies and TV shows, CNET reports."

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-tv-is-dead-2017-1
    I got a 3D projector in my home theater and used it to play games and watch 3D movies on my PS3. I played Uncharted 3 all the way through and parts of one of the Killzone games in 3D, although it did have a tendency to give me a minor headache.

Haven't used it at all since I got my PS4. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that the PS4 can play 3D movies - anyone know? As of now I have taken down the little emitter for it and put the PS camera for PSVR in it's place.

VR makes 3D look especially terrible.

As I think about this, I wonder if anyone is working on software that would allow you to watch 3D blu-rays in VR headsets. Seems doable to me - maybe not on PSVR without downgrading resolution though.

Anyone hear anything about that?

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    Yes, the PS4 plays 3D movies. It is the only 3D blu-ray player I own, and it works perfectly.

A friend from work who isn't into tech asked for help choosing a new TV, and I noticed you don't find 3D TVs anymore. This report confirms what I suspected.
    By talking to people, I have noticed that most people actually don't use the feature, so stopping the production makes sense from a commercial point of view. But I do use the feature. Actually, if I'm to watch any movie at home that has a 3D version, 3D it is.
    I have tried playing games in 3D mode, and I gave up quickly. For some reason, I don't get headaches watching movies, but I did with games. Must be the length of the movies, hardly more than 2 hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    I only ever played Killzone 3 and watched one movie in 3D so can't really say I will miss it.