Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Switch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Played a few hours last night.

I did find another issue that will probably haunt me. The little door cover for the game cartridge is the style where you push in, and it pops out. I'm constantly getting phone calls/texts/emails for work, so had to set the Switch down a couple times through my play session, and one of the times when I picked it up I hit that and the cart popped out. I am not sure the last save point, as I was so irritated I didn't even go back into the game.

I haven't played around with the menu/home screen very much, but it seems super simple and easy to navigate (I despised the WiiU home/menu). I like the screenshot button, and tried it out last night. I went in to share it (hoping for Twitter) and am surprised I figured Nintendo would make anything easy. You have to sign up for a Nintendo account of some sort for sharing, so I quit and went back to playing.

So let's go to the reason anyone would spend money on this thing: Zelda. I'm a life long Nintendo player, and Zelda will always be one of my favorite franchises. I loved the original and A Link to the Past. The first time I fired up OoT, I was blown away. My dreams had been answered and there would never be a better game. I gave up on Nintendo after the N64 as I didn't really like their direction (including with Zelda). I did try Wind Waker years after release, and just couldn't get into it. So, as excited as I was for Breath of the Wild, I had my reservations.

Beginning my journey in this game brought me back to the first time I fired up OoT. It's just a fun, well made Zelda game. It looks and sounds great, and the world seems huge with a ton to do. I kept getting side tracked just exploring this nook, that ruin, and actually finding stuff that mattered. It's a great feeling to be back in Hyrule, and I can't stop thinking about when I'll get the chance tonight to dive back in.

The actual handheld feels pretty good to play, though I miss my X1 controller. Keep in mind, I've only played a handful of hours, but so far, it's been amazing.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

donhardeone (03-15-2017), Major Stains (03-15-2017), TonkaToys (03-15-2017), tthfry (03-15-2017), wesleytomaz (03-15-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyCapable13 View Post
    I did try Wind Waker years after release, and just couldn't get into it.
    For some reason, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword have a very long "prologue", before the plot and the real game actually start. I think WW is the longest. In my opinion, this prologue only ends when you can finally sail, which could be a couple of hours into the game.
    But they're all great games.

Good to know someone who was somewhat skeptical is into the game. I will get it in about a month, if I can find it in stock.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,477 Posts
    First part of the video is about Nintendo.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (04-01-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 956 Posts
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (04-27-2017), Major Stains (04-27-2017), Retro (04-27-2017), SouthtownSlayer (04-27-2017)

Thanks
    Is it funny or sad that they said the same thing about the Wii U's initial launch numbers? Or that they are only comparing it to their home consoles and not their handhelds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Nintendo Switch's Splatoon 2 Headset Is One Clunky Setup. Splatoon 2, Nintendo Switch's colorful and chaotic shooter due out next month, will feature voice chat in multiplayer mode. We've now gotten a look at the (hefty) Splatoon 2-themed headset that will launch alongside the game courtesy of the Splatoon 2's Japanese Twitter account.

Fans no doubt expected something a little less clunky, with this configuration including a splitter that allows you to hear both voice chat from your phone and game audio from the system itself. According to an image published by 4Gamer, the splitter's cables are less than 20 inches long. The site also reports the headset will cost about US $32. We still don't know if you'll be able to use other headsets in the game.

In March, Nintendo revealed Splatoon 2 would have voice chat, using smart devices to link up to eight different Nintendo Switch systems together for local multiplayer.

Meanwhile, Splatoon 2's Japanese players are getting a Switch bundle with the game, neon green and pink Joy-Cons, and game stickers. A similar colored Switch Pro controller is being released and, last month, Nintendo began offering an actual empty Splatoon 2 bundle box for preorder for anyone who wants the packaging but already owns a Nintendo Switch.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni.../1100-6450486/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadChaos For This Useful Post:

Retro (06-02-2017)

Thanks
    Oh Nintendo....

The Nintendo Switch online app is live for Android and Apple devices. It offers some Splatoon 2 utilities that let players to keep track of their stats or buy special in-game items, which is pretty neat. It’s just not a very elegant solution for online voice chat between friends.

In order to communicate with friends over voice in Splatoon 2 (and only friends, as is Nintendo’s way), each friend will need to have the Nintendo Online app downloaded and running on their phone or tablet. Players will need a communication headset of some sort plugged into their phone. If they want to hear game sounds and chat, they’ll either need a one-sided headset, or a splitter like the one that comes with Hori’s adorable licensed headset.

One of the players in your group must then go into Splatoon 2's multiplayer section and create a private room via the Online Lounge section, sending out invitations to each friend they want to chat with. Invitations can also be sent through the app directly Once an invitation is accepted, friend icons show up on a screen in the mobile app.

The Online Lounge mode only allows for private games between people present in the lounge. Voice chat will also work in League Battles, Splatfest battles and Salmon Run co-op. Ranked games and basic multiplayer battles are excluded. Another limitation is that once teams are selected, the voice channels switch to team communication only. As soon as we started a 1-on-1 match, we could no longer hear each other until the match was complete.
    Update 7/19/2017, 1:55PM: It also bears mentioning that switching to another app or taking a phone call on the phone being used for Splatoon 2 chat will disconnect players from the room until they return to the Switch Online app. From Nintendo’s FAQ:
    If I use my smart device’s other features (texts, social media, etc.) will I be disconnected?

The voice chat will disconnect while you’re talking on the phone or using another application, but your voice chat will restart in the same room once you open the Nintendo Switch Online application again as long as the game session is still ongoing.
    It’s better than nothing, but not much better? It would be just as easy for players to call each other on Skype or Teamspeak or whatever they did when they played the original, completely voice-less Splatoon. If we’re going to require external hardware, might as well have full-featured software to go along with it.

An optimal solution for online voice chat on the Nintendo Switch would be the ability to just hook a headset to the console. Instead, Nintendo decided to require players to use an external app on an external device. Speaking to Kotaku earlier this year, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that requiring a mobile device for voice chat would allow Nintendo to “deliver a better, more robust execution.”
    I’m not seeing it yet, but it’s still early. Maybe jumping through all of these hoops will be worthwhile, eventually. Just not today.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    I was just now discussing this with my boss. The only logical explanation for this is that they couldn't make it right in time for the launch of Splatoon 2 and released it as is. An update fixing this has to come some time soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Good riddance Switch. Sold and shipped; I wipe my hands of all Nintendo hardware forever.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

SouthtownSlayer (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Why? You think it's that bad?
    What made you think that?

I've had it for almost a month. Playing mostly Zelda. It is flawed, but I like it. I play Mario Kart eventually too, which is great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast