Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Switch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,544 Posts

The Switch

I already posted how insanely expensive this console will be out of the gate, especially considering it's still under-powered compared to the PS4 & XBO which came out in 2013. I won't buy one ...yet. Not until they create a reasonable bundle that includes at the very least a Pro Controller and have a decent library of games. Hopefully some time around Christmas, but more likely late spring 2018.

I was very hard on the Wii, which I thought back then and still do to this day, is a terrible console, despite owning two of them. I did and still do admire how Nintendo marketed it however. Their marketing and advertising campaign was absolutely brilliant and done at the perfect time. It's also why I knew 100% from the moment they announced it that the Wii U would be an absolute failure. It was and Nintendo not deserved all the heat they took from it, they actually deserved more.

While the Wii was a limited and bad system, it had fantastic messaging. The Wii U actually had OK hardware, but horrendous messaging. Which brings me to the Switch. It has under-powered hardware and horrible messaging.

But it's going to succeed.

From the start, Nintendo has firmly placed the Switch as a Home Console with the ability to be taken on the go. Why, I don't know. I understand they don't want to kill off the beast that is the 3DS, but the 3DS players are more than ready to move on. This time, bad messaging won't hurt them. I believe gamers will look past it, the hardware itself is clear. This is a handheld that can be played on your TV, not the other way around.

Third party support will likely stick around this time. The titles may get altered from what is being released on PS4, XBO and PC, but the big publishers will support it. They've always supported Nintendo's handhelds and they will treat the Switch as one. Whether Nintendo wants them too or not. FIFA 18 being an example from EA. They've flat-out said, it's not a port of FIFA 17, it's just going to be a "different" version made especially for the Switch. Different meaning - Handheld. So long as the 3rd party publishers and developers look at it like this, the Switch will get games. If they try to treat it like a home console and go against the current competition, support will die. Even if Nintendo either through ignorance or more likely stubbornness wants to view and sell it as home console first, I believe the big 3rd parties know exactly what it is and how to handle it. Making a gimped down copy for a weak home console, not going to happen. Making an optimized handheld version for what is truly a different market, definitely appeals to them.

The 3DS over it's life so far has sold just over 65 million units. Ignoring the Wii sales as they are special case that has little to know chance of happening again for Nintendo, their best selling "home" console is the original NES, with just shy of 62 million units.

I don't think the Switch will necessarily get to those numbers, but somewhere between them and the SNES which sold just over 49 million, I believe is possible. IF. IF!!! Nintendo during the first year of launch can release at around 5 big exclusives, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does't count. They've released one big gun already. Hopefully that new Mario will be out in time for Christmas this year. They would do well to bring Metroid out as well in the next year.

Also, fire Reggie. Guy's a douche-bag.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

HardlyCapable13 (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I was very hard on the Wii, which I thought back then and still do to this day, is a terrible console, despite owning two of them.
    I will have to disagree with you on that. I think the Wii is a great system. But it had a different purpose and was intended for a different audience than the more traditional gaming systems.
    After playing out all of my Wii games, I got the PS3. I loved playing games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed.
    But that is not what the Wii was about. It was about
    A - motion based party gaming
    B - games that could have a sense of immersion thanks to the Wiimote.

Yes, if you are a gamer that basically plays FPS, then you gotta hate the Wii. I know many gamers that only play Fifa and FPS games, and they think Nintendo is for children. Or maybe it's their taste in games that is too focused (which is not wrong, only a matter of taste).
    The Wii was the worst console for playing multiplatform games. Hell, I played Star Wars The Force Unleashed on it for my regret. But the system had its own merits.

It was great having my father, and even my grandfather, playing video games along with my 5 yo nephews on Wii Sports.
    To this day, whenever I have friends over and I think we should play something fun, Wii Party is the first thing to cross my mind (it is the best party game I have played, anyone can pick it up and beat experienced players on its minigames).
    Then you have Super Mario Galaxy (both) that are the best Mario games ever, except only for Super Mario 64.
    Twilight Princess that made aiming the arrows and hookshots way easier.
    Skyward Sword, the most immersive game I've played so far (no, I haven't played any VR games yet), where you could pick up the Master Sword from its pedestal, swing it, aim arrows, turn keys and so many other things, doing the motion Link would do.
    Wii's Okami version, that made drawing much easier.
    And other great games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

It is true that it was only Nintendo itself who showed true understanding of the hardware at hand and made the best use of it. So, the Wii was worth it mostly because of its first party games. But I think it was a great console in its proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    From the start, Nintendo has firmly placed the Switch as a Home Console with the ability to be taken on the go. Why, I don't know. I understand they don't want to kill off the beast that is the 3DS, but the 3DS players are more than ready to move on. This time, bad messaging won't hurt them. I believe gamers will look past it, the hardware itself is clear. This is a handheld that can be played on your TV, not the other way around.
    I agree that it is an overpowered handheld and an underpowered home console. But I think most people will actually play it at home (I know I will). Besides, the messaging that it is a home console is probably intended for people to understand what kind of games they will be playing. For the first time, you don't have an enormous difference of quality and play style between the handheld and your home consoles. I mean, having a handheld as powerful as a PS3 is not something to take for granted, even if you own a PS4.
    I also think that is the main reason why Skyrim is in it and was shown on the first video: "you can play games as huge as Skyrim on the go".
    So I really look at it as a hybrid, both portable and home console, despite their attempts to say that it is a home system first.
    Now, it will only prove itself as the games come. 1-2 Switch seems like a waste of U$ 50. But it is meant to show the capabilities of the system. I hope they release something as fun as Wii Party on the future.
    Still this year, we will have Super Mario Odyssey, Splatton 2, ARMS (that could be either great or terrible), not reaching your 5 big games goal.
    Along with Metroid, a new Super Smash Bros. is always welcome as well.
    Last edited by wesleytomaz; 03-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wesleytomaz For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-04-2017)

Thanks
    If you mod your Wii, it can be one hell of a retro emulator. NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, MAME.

I am not convinced of it yet as well, but I haven't researched it much either.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rootbeer001 For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (03-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Calling the Switch a portable / handheld console makes much more sense to me.

Can it do multiplayer on the move? How - does it need a Wi Fi hotspot or something like that?
    Can you watch downloaded movies / TV on it? How does it store files - off an SD card / USB drive?
    Can you use Netflix / Prime / iPlayer / etc. off it? Again with the Wi Fi hotspot question.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (03-06-2017)

Thanks
    OK - bit late, sorry guys, but GameSeek are/were selling the Switch at 80 cheaper than RRP, because they guesstimated the price and decided to honour that for pre-orders.

They are still listing the Switch at 198 but they are out of stock (surprise). Might be worth keeping an eye on them, just in case.
    http://www.gameseek.co.uk/Consoles/NintendoSwitch/
    -Charlie

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-06-2017), Major Stains (03-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,544 Posts

Old Rich nails it. Specifically on the Wii.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-07-2017)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    I can't even watch that vid. The decapitated Reggie head has given me the fear!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    What is "messaging"? Is it a service on the console?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Got my Switch in yesterday. Due to Nintendo being complete jack asses, I had to get it off eBay for an inflated price. Have I mentioned how much I despise Nintendo as a company?

I've only fired it up while charging and went through the initial setup. The fact that you can't transfer your profile unless you by something is complete bullshit. See the third sentence in paragraph one.

First impression, it is smaller than I anticipated; in a good way. It feels pretty good while using as a portable device. The controllers are a pain to detach without pressing other buttons (not supposed to) but it does feel pretty good as a stand alone controller too. The kickstand is a joke, and if playing like that you can't charge it as the plug attachment is on the bottom. Seriously? Who in the hell does Nintendo hire to come up with this shit; toddlers? No, even they wouldn't make such a stupid error.

There are a ton of things wrong with this; I mean it's designed (rushed to market) by Nintendo. You can find all that out there on the web, and I'll point them out as I come across them. I have yet to play it (starting Zelda tonight) so I'll update once that happens.

I haven't hooked up to the TV, and not sure if I will. I bought this thing to take with me on the road, so that's the only thing I'll really use it for.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-15-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), SouthtownSlayer (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    I read about the kick stand / power issue; I cannot understand why they would make such a basic error.

Also HC, make sure you run any system updates because apparently there is an old vulnerability baked into the system that needs patching.
    -Charlie

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-15-2017), HardlyCapable13 (03-15-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast