Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,545 Posts

Ghost Recon: Wildlands - Better Solo or Co-op?

As much as I love playing with other MP's I must say, there are times I find a game like this, where I find it better going solo. At least at first.

Not all friends like to play the game the same way and it can get frustrating.

I prefer a slower more methodical approach. I like playing tactically. Many other seem to just want to run in guns blazing, which can be pretty fun. After having a chance to do it by my chosen method first.

Obviously playing with others offers a far funnier social experience. And that is what will keep the game going and the interest high in the long run.

Now, playing with others who have a similar approach is of course ideal.

Do you find it difficult trying to match your preferred playstyle with others?

***For clarity, I'm not shitting on anyone here. Everyone has their own style and none are wrong.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-10-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), RayHeinichen (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    Tbh I liked the guns blazing approach for a bit, maybe too much home front and division? Then I kicked the difficult up and now if an alarm trips I just book it and come back later. I like solo because you get a full squad, where as with friends you may be down a couple guys, that can pull off some john wick trick shots. But I also like coop if you have people willing to listen and strategize before moving in, you can do more with a willing human that the AI.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RayHeinichen For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-10-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), Retro (03-10-2017), siknuts (03-11-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,545 Posts
    The AI is actually doing much better than I thought they would. I wish the orders mechanic was quicker.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (03-14-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    They are pretty OP compared to what I expected. It just feels a lot easier to tell a person to take the south ridge and move in between the warehouse and helo to sweep the courtyard while you go in from the west and blah blah vs giving your squad limited orders while trying to stealth.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayHeinichen For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-10-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017)

Norway. That's the cold, windy place next to Sweden.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,197 Posts

Told the AI to go around the back of the camp with the intention to have them create a diversion while I snuck in from the other end. I was kind if surprised to see them walk straight through the camp to get there. Makes sense though, it was the obvious choice. Didn't end well though.

I like doing my own thing some of the time, but it is with other MPs I have the most fun. I've been playing alone on a few occations and every time I think to myself "I wish someone was here to see this", so we could laugh about it, or share the awesomeness of the given moment". I agree we like to play differently, and in such a game you need to find someone who fits your playstyle, or you run the risk of not getting to play the game the way you want to. But when you do, nothing is better.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GRRowl74 For This Useful Post:

darkstar2480 (03-11-2017), HeadsWilSned (03-10-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), RayHeinichen (03-10-2017), Retro (03-10-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    The thing that gets me though is the AI is invisible to the enemy. Kind of an immersion killer TBH. But I do like to play solo if I am not going to be on long. I have been playing with Stains, GRgrowl, and tth (sorry if that is wrong but I know who you are) and I have really enjoyed the group dynamic. It is fun trying to be tactical with a group. Overall it is up to the player really. I have found on PS4 the gung ho approach can get you killed really quick because I find the aim speed tends to be a little too slow or too fast.
    'Another day nearer the battle
    So drink up, lads and look brave.
    For another day nearer the battle
    Is another day nearer the grave.'

Imperial Guard drinking song

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darkstar2480 For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-11-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    I haven't gotten as much time in the game as I've liked (omg the little one has killed gaming this week), but from what I've played I've started to learn how to go solo. The sync shot is a life saver. But as dark star said, the immersion can be killed with the spotting. Kind of like in The Last of Us when Ellie would be RIGHT in front of bad guys and not be seen. That being said, there's nothing like having a team to run with. Hope to get on with some of y'all this week/weekend!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-14-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), TonkaToys (03-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,058 Posts
    I'm the same Retro, I much prefer taking my time, methodically taking out each enemy and remain completely as a Ghost. Obviously, when your teammate misses a basic sniper shot and the intended victim alerts the entire base, well, all bets are off.

What I've liked about this game in the short time I've played is that I'm having a blast playing both solo and co-op.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (03-14-2017), Major Stains (03-14-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

Norway. That's the cold, windy place next to Sweden.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyCapable13 View Post
    Obviously, when your teammate misses a basic sniper shot and the intended victim alerts the entire base, well, all bets are off.
    Isn't that kind of a part of the experience, though? The suspense of knowing there is that risk?

That said it's possible to restart a mission if all squad members die at once. As I'm sure you know - unless you are a real badass with only badass teammates, and the Unidad has a picture of you on the bulletin board in their cantina with the caption: "Clean up after yourself, or I'm coming for you!"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GRRowl74 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (03-14-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Although the transition between playing with your MP bro's and your AI ho's is seemless, it does still catch me out and can prove a big surprise for those joining in on me.
    Last night I had spent quarter of an hour staking out a fairly big base in La Cruz with 20+ enemy patrolling the grounds.
    I was in the process of picking off the waifes and strays, when a misplaced sniper shot fell short sending everything to hell. Me and my AI buddies were getting rushed and had to quickly move back and prepare a counter, when all of a sudden they disappeared. Left on my own I suddenly felt deaths tight grip around my neck. Until I heard a voice in my ear, and it was Phamcis. He sounded pretty suprised to be the sudden star of the show as he spawned into the mouth of hell. But in true Rambo style, started picking them off like they were tincans at the funfair.
    I dusted myself off and followed my hero into the base as we cleaned up the poor remaining few.

A similar thing happened the other night, I was on my own, casually cleaning up the table scraps in Pucara.
    All of a sudden Spike jumps in, and the game went from 10-80mph in a few seconds. After a quick side mission, HeadswilSned jump in our heli as we move on to another quest. More chaos ensues. Next thing we know johnnyh is onboard and we are deep in the shit dropping in on a Unidad base down in the far corner of Malca.
    All this happened in the space of 20 minutes.
    It left my head spinning, going from lone-wolf clean up crew to full on wolf-pack 'guns blazing' crazy gang in no time.

Let it be said, this game is full of surprises and leaves me totally unknowing of what lays around the corner.

Good times.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

Gadnos316 (03-14-2017), GRRowl74 (03-14-2017), tthfry (03-14-2017)