Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 821 Posts

Projectors and Home Theater Planning

As I've been getting our network, TVs, and gaming systems set up in the new house, I've been doing a bit of daydreaming / long term planning for upgrades to our basement "media room". It obviously once was some sort of home theater, as there are wall plates high up that have speaker wire and odd AV cables behind them that run above the ceiling to a cabinet over the wet bar on the other end of the room. Also a recessed "box" of sorts built into the ceiling that I can only imagine housed a drop-down projector screen.

I know pretty much nothing about projectors and the like, and some quick research only led me to realize you can spend anywhere from $75 to thousands on a projector. That's a pretty wide range, so I thought I'd turn to my fellow MPs, some of whom I know have experience with home theater setups.

Searching the site I found a post where Spike promised he'd write us up some tips based on what he learned building his home theater, but couldn't locate a post where he actually did so.

I will probably be in the planning stage on this for a good long while, but would appreciate any knowledge, experience, and tips MPs might have with this stuff that'll keep me from making any mistakes along the way.

Roughly, the room is about 17' x 12', viewing distance will probably be about 10'. Room is technically basement, but not entirely below ground. Has 3 small windows, but they have a deck over the top of them so it's very easy to keep extra light out. Obviously want the setup to work just as well for gaming as it does for TV/Movies. Not sure what specs effect such things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,031 Posts
    AV Forums is pretty good for this sort of stuff. There is a thread on DIY home cinemas (theatres) too.
    Last edited by TonkaToys; 04-21-2017 at 05:49 AM.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Gink (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    AV Forums is pretty good for this sort of stuff. There is a thread on DIY home cinemas (theatres) too.
    Nice. I'd checked in on AVS Forums as I was familiar with that from back in the day when listening to music required more than a phone and some earbuds. They have some okay articles and reviews, but looks like the AV Forums have more of what I'm looking for with the ultimate projector guide and "what's the best projector for you".

Thought I was golden just having a room that I can shut out ambient light, already learning I'll have to take into account having a white ceiling and some white walls.

Montreal, Canada - Usual play times M-F 10pm -12am
    Thanks
    I know Spike4hand uses a projector and possibly a man cave...last I heard he was tearing up the autobahn but I'm sure he would be helpful with a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to REMEC87 For This Useful Post:

Gink (04-23-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by REMEC87 View Post
    I know Spike4hand uses a projector and possibly a man cave...last I heard he was tearing up the autobahn but I'm sure he would be helpful with a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That explains why he hasn't thrown in his two cents. I'll give him a nudge when he gets back.