Thanks
    Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,539 Posts

Spider-Man: Homecoming

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (05-25-2017), Gadnos316 (05-25-2017), JockoPablo (05-25-2017)

Thanks
    AKA Iron Man 4 Featuring Spider-man.

Full disclosure: Spidey is my favorite comic book superhero. I've read almost all of his original silver age books.

I can see this movie going terribly right or terribly wrong.

I love the fact that they've made him a teenager, as he was at the dawn of his comics career, so we get to see the struggles of a kid trying to balance high school (and all the teen problems that go along with it) and being a hero.

I love that they've gone back to the tech-based web shooters rather than Rami's natural spinnerets.

I love that Spidey's sense of humor is on point.

My only concern is Stark's involvement. Stark creating a suit for Spidey is canon, certainly, but to what degree the suit defines him gives me pause. I'm hoping Spidey's character arc will go from thinking he needs the suit, losing the suit and the confidence that goes along with it, then realizing he doesn't need it and becoming a true hero on his own.
    Last edited by JockoPablo; 05-25-2017 at 11:55 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (05-25-2017), donhardeone (05-25-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    AKA Iron Man 4 Featuring Spider-man.

Full disclosure: Spidey is my favorite comic book superhero. I've read almost all of his original silver age books.

I can see this movie going terribly right or terribly wrong.

I love the fact that they've made him a teenager, as he was at the dawn of his comics career, so we get to see the struggles of a kid trying to balance high school (and all the teen problems that go along with it) and being a hero.

I love that they've gone back to the tech-based web shooters rather than Rami's natural spinnerets.

I love that Spidey's sense of humor is on point.

My only concern is Stark's involvement. Stark creating a suit for Spidy is canon, certainly, but to what degree the suit defines him gives me pause. I'm hoping Spidey's character arc will go from thinking he needs the suit, losing the suit and the confidence that goes along with it, then realizing he doesn't need it and becoming a true hero on his own.

Pretty accurately describes my sentiments. I grew up with Spider-Man being my favorite comic, and poured most of my earned cash into the various story-line arcs. Each movie has had it's pros and cons, but overall each have fallen short of my expectations. I like the character they've developed so far in Civil War, and it has potential. At least in this movie, if it sucks, we have Marissa Tomei to look at.

Thanks
    Fact is, the deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony is only for a couple of movies and those include Spidey appearing in the Avengers movies. This won't be a long series.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

donhardeone (05-25-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Fact is, the deal between Marvel/Disney and Sony is only for a couple of movies and those include Spidey appearing in the Avengers movies. This won't be a long series.
    If Tom Holland is successful in the role, and the movie turns out great, I would hope they could extend the agreement. Especially if Tom Hardy winds up playing Eddie Brock in the new Venom (to date the most offensive casting they've done for any Spider-Man is Topher Grace as Eddie Brock), which could setup a movie with my all-time favorite Spidey villain: Carnage. Cletus Kasady may just be the most deranged villian in the Marvel Universe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donhardeone View Post
    If Tom Holland is successful in the role, and the movie turns out great, I would hope they could extend the agreement. Especially if Tom Hardy winds up playing Eddie Brock in the new Venom (to date the most offensive casting they've done for any Spider-Man is Topher Grace as Eddie Brock), which could setup a movie with my all-time favorite Spidey villain: Carnage. Cletus Kasady may just be the most deranged villian in the Marvel Universe.
    They've already flat-out said the Venom movie will have no connection to the MCU. Sony should just let it go, accept that the MCU is where Spidey and all connected characters belong. The short scenes with Tom Holland in Civil War were better than anything Sony has done with Spider-Man on film, ever. (Sorry, but old Toby sucked as Peter Parker).

Thanks
    I was very skeptical while watching the first trailers. The only trailer that got me excited about this movie was this recent trailer 3.
    Gotta wait and see. Spider-man is my favorite super-hero and I hate to see what Sony's been making of him.