Thread: Apple HomePod

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts

Apple HomePod

Apple have recently announced more details about their contribution to the world of smart speakers. With the price and sleek design that Apple suckers, erm I mean users are used to paying.

Priced at 300/ $350 it is priced well above it's competitiors the Amazon Echo and Google Home.
    But when you consider it offers a soundscape nearer the quality of the Sonos Play3 with the potential of linking units ($=ouch) to create a balanced sound in any room, the price of the single unit is almost justified.

Currently shown in white or space gray, the 7" speaker contains a 4" woofer with 7 tweeters and 6 microphones. The power comes from a custom A8 chip, and the unit will obviously pair with your Apple devices also providing multi-room audio like the Sonos.

With little to no information on testing from reviewers at this stage, there are no comparisons on how it stands up against the Echo or Googles Home.
    But I'm sure there will be lots more hype leading up to it's release in December, perfectly timed to be this holiday seasons 'must-have piece of tech crap to go with all your other tech crap'... so...where do I pre-order?

Available from Apple

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (06-06-2017), TonkaToys (06-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 817 Posts
    I was a little surprised at the price point, but I guess Apple isn't really trying to compete with Home and Echo, so much as offer their own solution to their own customer base and to the "High-End" crowd. For me, I think, "Hey, I could buy 3 Homes for that price", but to a lot of folks it will probably be more like "Oh, I could buy some Sonos speakers, or for just a bit more get the added functionality of the HomePod". So they'll probably sell just fine, despite being 3x the cost of similar products.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 798 Posts
    That's a pretty ridiculous price point for what most users will end up just using as a wireless speaker. Then again, the Sonos stuff I've always felt was also way overpriced too.

For my kitchen, I started with just a Logitech Bluetooth audio connector like this:

And then connected it to a decent but not too pricey set of 2.1 PC speakers and put them on top of my kitchen cabinets.

Wireless audio through bluetooth that the whole family uses for less than $100.

After that, I did get an Amazon Echo that I also placed in the kitchen. We played around with it for about 6 months - mostly for shopping list, timers, and streaming music either via bluetooth connection to an iphone or via Amazon streaming. However, we got tired of it picking up snippets of conversation and then saying "I did not understand what you said." so now it sits on a shelf totally unplugged, unused, and not missed and we are back to using the logitech/PC speaker combo and everyone's fine with it.

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post
    That's a pretty ridiculous price point for what most users will end up just using as a wireless speaker. Then again, the Sonos stuff I've always felt was also way overpriced too.

For my kitchen, I started with just a Logitech Bluetooth audio connector like this:

And then connected it to a decent but not too pricey set of 2.1 PC speakers and put them on top of my kitchen cabinets.

Wireless audio through bluetooth that the whole family uses for less than $100.

After that, I did get an Amazon Echo that I also placed in the kitchen. We played around with it for about 6 months - mostly for shopping list, timers, and streaming music either via bluetooth connection to an iphone or via Amazon streaming. However, we got tired of it picking up snippets of conversation and then saying "I did not understand what you said." so now it sits on a shelf totally unplugged, unused, and not missed and we are back to using the logitech/PC speaker combo and everyone's fine with it.
    I love those logitech adapters! I've got an ancient model, for years it was connected to a set of JBL Creature 2.1 PC speakers in our kitchen at the old place. It's also such a small and simple device that it was easy to travel with. We rented vacation houses once or twice that had sound systems and it was always easy to plug in and use.

I just finally swapped it out for the chromecast audio so Home could cast to it's location in the living room, but I'm sure I'll find another purpose for it. My speakers finally died, but a new set of PC speakers and it'd be a fine setup for the Garage/Workshop.

The main advantages I've found to switching to chromecast are a) using wifi instead of bluetooth for better range, and b) with Home, being able to cast without draining my phone battery. Of course the speaker groupings and voice control are fun too. But all-in-all these bluetooth adapters are a pretty simple and cost effective solution for music streaming.
    Last edited by Gink; 06-06-2017 at 11:40 AM.