Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 772 Posts

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Developed by Ninja Theory (DMC: Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword), apparently this game has been in the works for years.
    I hadn't heard of it before chancing across it available for preorder in the GOG summer sale.
    After watching a few trailers and some of the dev diaries available on youtube I was intrigued both with the game and with what ninja theory are trying to do with it.
    Apparently it is to be a AAA quality independent game, half the size of a standard AAA, sold digital only for half the price. They want to "bring back the mid-sized game".
    I like the idea they have of doing this, rather than following the standard method of trying to build a game that justifies a $60 price tag, or more with add-on content.
    More than that though, it is great to see a studio trying to make a piece of art that is unique and important to them, not just a product, but lifting it beyond the pixel or lo-fi art we've become accustomed to with most independent games.

The game looks like it will be an interesting and visually captivating journey, if nothing else. The combat seems to mostly use light/heavy attacks and dodges. Could be great, could be tedious.

Releasing August 8, it is now available for pre-order for $29.99 on PC and PS4, thought the PSN store still lists it available on 12/31, go figure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (06-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting, haven't seen a video on this yet. This game was featured in a game informer magazine a few months back, and it talked about the various kinds of ways they've had to innovate and cut costs but seems like they're putting their souls into this. The games protagonist is also supposedly suffering from severe psychosis so it looks to play into it a lot. I'm very interested in this one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

Gink (06-13-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadnos316 View Post
    Thanks for posting, haven't seen a video on this yet. This game was featured in a game informer magazine a few months back, and it talked about the various kinds of ways they've had to innovate and cut costs but seems like they're putting their souls into this. The games protagonist is also supposedly suffering from severe psychosis so it looks to play into it a lot. I'm very interested in this one.
    Yes, it's a pretty interesting combination. Action game with puzzle elements involving a Celtic warrior in Viking lands with the whole thing filtered through the lens of the protagonist's mental illness.
    The Dev Diaries on youtube are very interesting. There are definitely areas where they spared no expense to use some amazing technology to get, for instance, the level of realism in the character's facial expressions that they wanted, but certainly had to cut costs elsewhere to allow the game to be completed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,210 Posts
    "Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice has really cool mo-cap tech but this interview is well into the creepy-ass uncanny valley"

http://www.facebook.com/ninjatheory/...0648231627327/

Thanks
    Wow, yeah. I started out watching it on my phone and it took me a minute or so to realize it wasn't the actress in full-makeup. The slightly jerky movements and expressions gave it away eventually, but still had me fooled a bit longer than I'd expect. Threw it up on the TV and then just reveled in the weirdness.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (06-28-2017)

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeadChaos For This Useful Post:

Gadnos316 (2 Weeks Ago), Gink (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    I'm very excited for this one, can't wait to see just how bizarre it can get!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (2 Weeks Ago), Gink (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Me too, definitely my kind of story.

Thanks
    Nice to see some more gameplay and combat especially. I like how they've used various elements such as the voice in her head and the talisman or whatever it is on her hip to take the place of a HUD. Looks like it should make for a pretty immersive experience.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    This is similar to Diablo 3 hardcore except if you die it's game over, no warnings. People will just have to back up their save file more often. Link contains spoilers.

Hellblade has caused a stir after it emerged the game deletes your save file if you die too much.

Ninja Theory's new game - out today - features a unique permadeath system that forces players to start over.

Spoiler

Clearly, this mechanic is tied into the theme of mental health Hellblade leans so heavily on. But it has already sparked a vociferous debate online about whether it's frustrating or inspired.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...u-die-too-much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast