Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Depends upon the combat difficulty... if it's a Dark Souls type experience then yes it'll be frustrating. But if it's manageable then that's kind of cool. Like back on my NES, when it's game over it's really over.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (1 Week Ago), Gink (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,210 Posts
    As ever, they’ll be out of ten except where noted otherwise.

Destructoid – 7
    Game Informer – 8
    GamesBeat – 95/100
    Gamespot – 8
    PCGamer – 78/100
    The Jimquisition – 1
    EGM – 8.5
    Push Square – 8
    Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice is out now on PC, and PS4.
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/08/hel...ll-the-scores/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadChaos For This Useful Post:

Gadnos316 (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    It seems like the outcome I was hoping for. Seems to be a short game, but I think overall seems worth it for the experience, especially with the unique sound design of the game. $30 for the game doesn't seem too bad, if you consider going to a movie can cost you the same depending on where you go. I wonder if it's worth multiple play throughs or just a one and done deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadChaos View Post
    This is similar to Diablo 3 hardcore except if you die it's game over, no warnings. People will just have to back up their save file more often. Link contains spoilers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...u-die-too-much
    Hah. That's kind of awesome, but I'm sure some folks are pissed. Hopefully they don't cave to outcry and pressure and patch it out.

Seems like death in games is rarely meaningful anymore. Some might see this as a cheap way to add suspense or make you worry about dying, but sounds like you get enough warning that you can backup your save, and they've wrapped it all into the story in a reasonable way.

Sent from my 1+3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gink View Post
    Seems like death in games is rarely meaningful anymore.
    Agreed. I remember the fear of dying when playing Diablo 3 hardcore which got worst as you could bump up the difficult to get more XP and better loot but then risk dying. You had to make sure to pick the best survival build because it was a long damn way from level 1-70.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 772 Posts
    No one seems to know so far just how many times you can die, so the erasure doesn't seem to be a very common thing. Sounds like the default difficulty level is set to scale to player performance, though you also have options for Easy, Medium, Hard. Mostly it seems like another mechanic to make the game more immersive, and give you more of a sense of the peril Senua is in.

My wife is super excited to play the game, hopefully this mechanic doesn't frighten her off, she's definitely on the casual gamer end of the spectrum and doesn't share my love of roguelikes and punishment in games. Or, hopefully her excitement for the game will push her to give this type of thing a chance and maybe broaden her horizons to trying out more hard but rewarding games.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    So I got the game yesterday, only got to play a little bit last night till the baby so rudely interrupted;). You HAVE to use headphones, the sound is amazing with all the voices, it really is quite unlike anything I've seen in a game before. The combat is kind of meh, it is pretty simple but I have yet to face any bosses (kind of got stuck on an easy puzzle). I think the designers are more going for the experience of playing. Hope to get farther tonight, let y'all know how that goes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (3 Days Ago), Gink (3 Days Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2