Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyCapable13 View Post
    Right. I run my PS4 through my Xbox. lol.
    I imagine that gets counted in the "TV" % block. Would be pretty funny if it actually showed up in the stats the % of time folks "used" their XB1 for playing PS4.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,430 Posts

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,910 Times in 2,274 Posts
    Hmmm. I'm very tempted to give that a try so I can free up another HDMI port on the TV, but as I'm 1/4 Scottish the thought of two consoles fired up sending the dials on the electricity meter spinning, makes my sphincter twitch.
    Do you find any other issues from having the PS4 linked through the X1? Do you need any special add-ons or is it plug and play?

I personally have very little interest in Backwards Compatibilty.
    Take the Wii U for example, a vast back catalogue available of so many classics that I played to death back in the day. Games I love to bits, but for me nostalgia alone isn't enough of a draw to make me fire it up when there are so many incredible modern games out there.

I even downloaded BFBC2 on the X1, tried it once and never saw any MPs playing so never played it again. And that is one of the most highly regarded games in Team MP.

So for me games compare more to books then say movies or music. I rarely if ever re-read a book again, whereas movies and music never get old and I could watch my favourites countless times.
    Last edited by Major Stains; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 PM.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Team MP - "Growing Old Disgracefully "

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (1 Week Ago), Gink (6 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    So for me games compare more to books then say movies or music. I rarely if ever re-read a book again, whereas movies and music never get old and I could watch my favourites countless times.
    Good point. I always want to go back and take another run through my favorite games and books, relive the experience, but with so much new and limited time, pretty much never do.

Regarding the original topic, I ran across this article from 2015 quoting a podcast where Phil Spencer explained how BC works on XB1. I found it pretty interesting as a techie, wasn't surprised that it essentially involves a 360 emulator, but it certainly lends to the idea that there can be some inaccuracy in recording the BC usage.
    "The 360 games think they're running on the 360 OS, which they are. And the 360 OS thinks its running on the hardware, which it's not, it's running on an emulated VM. On the other side, the Xbox One thinks it's a game. That's why things like streaming, game DVR, and screenshots all work, because it thinks there's just one big game called 360."

This also reminded me of how much time I once spent turning an old Gen1 Xbox into a retro arcade box of sorts via modding and emulators. I'm sure I spent about 100x as long getting it all working as I ever spent playing old games on it.
    It was awesome to have a huge collection of classic 80s and 90s titles available to play at any time, but I was still more inclined to spend my time playing the current games on the current console.
    Emulators are even better now, and easier to set up hardware for, but as much as I'd love to build a full arcade cabinet or tabletop arcade system full of retro games with big ol' buttons and sticks, I'm sure it'd end up being more of a show piece or cool furniture for the game room than something that got used regularly. Unless of course the games of our youth suddenly become cool again like vinyl records, but then I'd have to chase all the damn hipster kids out of my game room.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (6 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,430 Posts
    I've personally gone back and played Assassins Creed 3, Far Cry 3, Fallout 3 (Lots of "3's"), Rainbow Six Vegas 2, BF Bad Company 2, Black Ops 1 & 2, Battlefield 3, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 1,2 & 3, Dead Space, Hitman Absolution, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Bully.

Games I still need to return to that are now on my XBO, Beyond Good & Evil, Star Wars The Force Unleashed 1 & 2, Fallout New Vegas, Witcher 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Plus the games that I never actually got to play on 360 that I now have and will play like Alan Wake, Lego Star Wars Complete Saga, Bio Shock Infinite.

There were so many great games that came out last gen that I either want to revisit or I just missed or even skipped because they didn't fit my interest at the time. It's also a nice feature for someone who may have only had a Wii and missed out on a ton of great games.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (6 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 1,044 Posts
    I too have taken advantage of backwards compat. I love it, and am thankful that they give us that option. I'm excited to go back and play some of the OG games too. Honestly, the main feature I hate that isn't on the Switch, is the option to purchase and play older Nintendo games.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    Hmmm. I'm very tempted to give that a try so I can free up another HDMI port on the TV, but as I'm 1/4 Scottish the thought of two consoles fired up sending the dials on the electricity meter spinning, makes my sphincter twitch.
    Do you find any other issues from having the PS4 linked through the X1? Do you need any special add-ons or is it plug and play?
    I've had zero issues. Yes, just plug and play.

It's nice to be able to play my PS4 and still get Xbox game invites and messages.
    Consoles I've had the pleasure of owning.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (6 Days Ago), TonkaToys (3 Days Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2