Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Norway. That's the cold, windy place next to Sweden.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,197 Posts

Monitor for PS4 gaming

I'm on holiday, so feel free to ignore my obsession with monitors if you prefer. Input so far has been much appreciated, however, and still is.

Here's where I'm at: In addition to response time, there's a new enemy called input lag. I noticed this in a video comparing a 1ms monitor with a 5ms monitor, where the 5ms monitor clearly was the faster one. Also, I've learned there's a difference between TK and IPS panels, which affects both speed and colors. IPS is preferable with regards to color and viewing angles, it seems.

So all this googling have made me check out the Asus MX279H.

It looks elegant, has a 5ms response time, I think around 75Hz refresh rate, and is measured at a low input lag, at 9ms I think. IPS panel gives it great colors and good viewing from every angle. Price is about the same as the BenQ RL2755 I've been considering.

My concern is that the monitor seems a bit old. To clarify, first review I found was from 5 years ago. It's still a popular monitor and the recommendations from gamers in forums and videos are more recent. But still, 5 years?

Both shows up in this article from June 2017, so that's something, right?
    4 best gaming monitors for ps4/ps4 pro

- now I just feel I've overthunk this whole damn thing. My head hurts. Think I'm just gonna spin a bottle and pick something.
    Last edited by GRRowl74; 07-08-2017 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GRRowl74 View Post
    - now I just feel I've overthunk this whole damn thing. My head hurts. Think I'm just gonna spin a bottle and pick something.
    Dude it's money - thinking about it is the right way to go about it... now

You have to differentiate gaming monitor and, what you are looking for... a console gaming monitor.

In short the age of that monitor doesn't show in the stats, by all accounts the stats make the monitor look like a no brainer in terms of budget buy (I say budget since that monitor would be much cheaper today than what it would have been 5 years ago based on specs and clearly popularity)

It's the tech inside that's dated, where newer monitors process the info they get different - but really this doesn't matter as long as the device can communicate with other devices you're intending it to communicate with.

On console you have to consider input lag, and from all I know about it, anything under 9ms is where you're aiming, I believe your standard tv runs at around 16ms (making huge assumptions here, but generally and based on it's age you're prob currently playing on that)

You are however going to look for 1-2ms in response time, anything over is going to hurt you over time and 5ms is just too big a sacrifice to make.

Have you considered looking up your current tv specs as a sort of base comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
    He'll make it whissle;
    An legs an arms, an heads will sned

Thanks

Monitor for PS4 gaming

Quote Originally Posted by HeadsWilSned View Post
    Have you considered looking up your current tv specs as a sort of base comparison?
    I think that would be like asking the salesman of a 1970s VW Beetle if it has a self parking system and active cruise control, but I'll have a gander anyway once I get back. My guess is it has a response time around 60 seconds and an input lag of half an hour. Probably not that bad, but in the neighbourhood. Also the light/black levels are plain awful. Looking out a window on Siege is like staring into the sun, and the enemy hiding in a dark corner could wearing Harry Potters invisibility cape for all I'd know.

Basically - anything - is an improvement. But as you say, I'd like to be able to buy something that'll last me a while.

So, I guess I'm back to the BenQ RL2755. It's not super, but it has decent size, 1ms, TK panel, dunno about input lag, but i guess it can't be that bad. It's a gaming monitor designed for console, that's gotten pretty good reviews, and it's like a year old - I think.
    The things that are a drawback would be viewing angles (not a huge problem, but would be if I decide to use it for anything other than gaming) and colors - which, let's face it, probably will be way better than what I've got now anyway.

Thanks
    viewing angle really only comes into play when you've got a tv no? I mean generally with monitors you're sitting dead-on, and only a couple of feet away right? I wouldn't worry unless you're one of those formula 1 drivers (of you don't know the type, you spot them leaning their heads to follow the road into a bend or when turning :p)

He'll make it whissle;

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeadsWilSned For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (07-10-2017), GRRowl74 (07-08-2017)

Thanks

Monitor for PS4 gaming

You're probably right. At this point I'm just confusing myself with all these damn reviews' pros and cons lists. What I want is a gaming monitor for console at 27" within my price range, which makes the BenQ the obvious choice really. Anyway, thanks for info, advice and patience. This monitor better up my game

And come to think of it - I'm probably a leaner.
    Last edited by GRRowl74; 07-08-2017 at 04:19 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GRRowl74 For This Useful Post:

HeadsWilSned (07-08-2017)

Thanks
    This kind of confirmed my choice in a nice way:
    Displaylag.com:BenQ RL2755 monitor review

Thanks
    This kind of confirmed my choice in a nice way:
    Displaylag.com:BenQ RL2755 monitor review
    That's decent - so have you ordered it?

He'll make it whissle;

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HeadsWilSned For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (07-09-2017)

Thanks
    Nice Grrowl you will like playing on a monitor. The picture is just better quality then what tv gives. At least compared to my old TV's loi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mogley45 For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (07-09-2017)

Thanks
    Hope so, Mogley, it will be better than my current situation, that's for sure.

Heads - I've got it in shopping cart, holding off on ordering a bit - don't want it to be delivered before I get home :)

Thanks
    Heads - I've got it in shopping cart, holding off on ordering a bit - don't want it to be delivered before I get home :)
    Okay now you're just rubbing it in! :p

He'll make it whissle;

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HeadsWilSned For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (07-09-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast