Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,494 Posts
    They'll definitely get tighter as time goes on. Freak had a bad start, but has gotten way better. Hoping by season two we can basically have a range of +5 to -10.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Not a fan of handicap then.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HardlyCapable13 View Post
    Not a fan of handicap then.
    It helps to level the playing field when you have people within a certain range. It's a good thing then.

If a player is consistently scoring par and another is scoring 10 over, handicap makes tournaments much more competitive. But if you have a player scoring 5 under on average and another scoring 30 over, the handicap basically makes it almost impossible for the "better" player to win.

On Xbox I know that both Freak and Harsh had very high handicaps at first, but they've come down a lot. They both went from 25 or higher handicaps to now both under 10, Harsh is 7.1, Freak is 9.1, HC you re a 7.5, Teach is 0 and I'm currently at +0.8

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

HardlyCapable13 (4 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 764 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    It helps to level the playing field when you have people within a certain range. It's a good thing then.

If a player is consistently scoring par and another is scoring 10 over, handicap makes tournaments much more competitive. But if you have a player scoring 5 under on average and another scoring 30 over, the handicap basically makes it almost impossible for the "better" player to win.

On Xbox I know that both Freak and Harsh had very high handicaps at first, but they've come down a lot. They both went from 25 or higher handicaps to now both under 10, Harsh is 7.1, Freak is 9.1, HC you re a 7.5, Teach is 0 and I'm currently at +0.8
    I wish we had the ability to cap the number of strokes given at like 10 or 12 or something.

I still remember when my brother-in-law won the members-only handicap tourney at a club he had just joined a couple months before. Of course, everyone accused him of sand-bagging. He said he kind of regretted winning cause the "regulars" doubted him. His name's still on the wall in there though.

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,127 Times in 2,369 Posts
    Having played for years I can testify the handicap system is indeed flawed, but without it the chances of your average golfer ever competing (or even wanting to) against anyone playing to +16 handicap and below would be zero.
    In real life the true 'bandit' shows their colours over time, but your genuine +20-28 handicapper will always reveal their trademark faults in almost every game.

It is a broken system but still one that hasn't been improved upon for many years.

The worse case scenario is when you play a comp at 3/4 handicap, so someone of little to no skill (like me) on +26/28 gets to play off around +16/18, whereas a player on +4 plays off +3. So no big penalty for the better player.

It's a tricky one to call. If I play a game where none of my swing faults raise their ugly head (rare) then I destroy the field on points, but once my normal game resumes the universe soon falls into line once more.

I'm not sure if the ruling is in force but it was rumoured that the maximum mens handicap was going from +28 to +36 in line with ladies to make it even fairer for the less gifted players. A bonus for many casuals out there.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Team MP - "Growing Old Disgracefully "

Thanks
    I added another TMP tourney last night - 5day/2-round handicap event at Pinehurst #2.

I played a practice round and ended +1, but promptly laid an egg in my second round with a 9 and a 7 on par 4's on the front 9. My second round was much better at +1, but the damage was done and I ended at +14 I think.

The greens are crowned and hard, so I rolled a lot of balls back and forth over the green.

Participation was never great, but really dropped off in the last three tournaments to where I think it was just me, Helmet, and Remec playing in any of the last three. I think I was the only one to finish both rounds in the last one. At one point, we had about 7-8 MP's on PS that had the game, but I guess it hasn't stuck with people or they're waiting for the game to patch or something.

Do you guys think I should:

a - Keep it at 4-5 day, 2-round tournaments
    b - Make them 7 day, 2-round tournaments
    c - Make them 7 day but 4 rounds
    d - something else

Presto Bitch!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spike Forehand For This Useful Post:

Helmethead1031 (1 Week Ago)

Thanks
    Maybe 7 day 4 round tournaments would work. I just wish more MPs would play. The game has some faults but it's running much smoother lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    We get 5-7 for each event. 2 rounds every two days. People seem to still be into it.

Montreal, Canada - Usual play times M-F 10pm -12am
    Thanks
    I have to get back into it after a bit of a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    We get 5-7 for each event. 2 rounds every two days. People seem to still be into it.
    Weird how sports games are pretty common for the XB part of MP, and nearly non-existent on the PS side. Noone on PS plays Madden/NBA/FIFA either.

Presto Bitch!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4