Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 814 Posts

Destiny 2 War Stories

You know what to do.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    The most MPs (active or not) I've ever seen on any release. A steady 25+ on PS4 and 6+ on X1 since launch.

If anyone wants to bump the recruitment threads at Bungie to get more MPs on board for this monster title, then click away. A new one has been created to replace the fireteam thread.
    You click on the small 'comment' down the bottom left to bump it and you can up vote it too. A comment would be better to show activity.

Destiny 1 Fireteams

Destiny 2 Clans
    Last edited by Major Stains; 09-12-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    People are too busy playing to write. Heh.

I played a bunch this weekend, but sadly all solo, so I don't have any stories to tell.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Gink (09-11-2017), Major Stains (09-11-2017)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    I played a bunch this weekend, but sadly all solo, so I don't have any stories to tell.
    Well, that is kind of a story!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    People are too busy playing to write. Heh.
    That about covers it. This weekend was pretty much rush through the to-do list of household chores and errands, play destiny, make dinner, play destiny, and maybe watch a tv show to wind down before bed.

At this point I'm pretty much playing with the wife, so if anyone sees me on and I don't respond to an invite or something, don't be offended. I'm hoping after the 'new game smell' wears off a bit I'll be able to get another character up to snuff and split time a bit more between running with the wife and getting some time in with other MPs.

I started to write something up for here, but realized it was more like a mini-review / first impressions than war stories, so I'll be posting it elsewhere.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (09-11-2017), Siggman (09-14-2017), tthfry (09-12-2017)

FNG
    Thanks
    I'll start posting more when I get more of a feel of the game. Still trying to figure things out.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mc Nature Boy For This Useful Post:

Gink (09-11-2017), Siggman (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Crucible Clash yesterday.
    I'm in a Random team against a 4 people of the same clan.
    Hopes for Glory are not that high but hey, the game's only out for a small week so maybe even a moderate tomato like me can bag a few kills.
    Seems I'm the only one with a headset so coordination is clearly a no-go. So off we go towards what in my head already feels like an easy roll-over win for the opposite team.
    More than halfway through the match we're 24 to 36 behind... and then the magic kicks in.
    Like the dwarfs in Snow White (only 4 in this case) we start to literally line up our searches. Back 2 back, 4 in a row we scan the perimeter.
    Buttock clenched I move to the front of my seat feeling like Charles Bronson in Death Wish (the original). Maybe partly 'cause I'm now running around with my Sunshot Hand Cannon (which clearly feels great)
    One minute left as my Super finally is charged. Let's keep this Ace in my back pocket
    15 seconds left on the counter. Score is 42-43 for the oppressor.
    While all 4 of us are in a protective Warlock healing bubble, two opponents decide to take their chances by popping out of a corner and going in for the final kill.
    No idea where the other 2 goons are but they're probably about to flank us any second.
    And there's the window of opportunity: was it a Divine Intervention from Charles himself I will never know.
    I double jump out of the bubble ... 6 seconds
    Float towards the incoming Laurell & Hardy whilst charging up my Super (Nova Bomb) ... 4 seconds
    The explosive bolt of Void Light soars thru the sky ... 2 seconds
    IMPACT ! Let the bodies hit the floor !
    Screen fades to grey. The Fat Lady begins to sing. Score tables appear: 44-43. We nailed them!
    I release the buttock grip...
    Wish I could have heard the cries of joy (at least i assume) of the other team members.
    Satisfied I return to my Farm. Hope the wife made a good omelet.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (09-14-2017), Gadnos316 (09-14-2017), Gink (09-14-2017), GRRowl74 (09-14-2017), Helmethead1031 (09-19-2017), JockoPablo (09-14-2017), TonkaToys (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Brilliant story Siggy
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

Siggman (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Awesome Siggman! I still haven't jumped into the Crucible, but your story gave me the itch. Those edge of the seat rounds are exhilarating!

The Ol' Warlock (wife) and I decided to work on some Milestones and Challenges last night. We still haven't finished the Campaign, but the offer of 'quick' rewards got too tempting. Just needed 2 Strikes, 3 Patrols, 5 Centurions, 3 Fallen Caches and a Lost Sector in the Gulch. Easy Peezy, right?

This was our first time doing a D2 Strike besides the one in the Beta. I'd always been a fan of Strikes in D1, for me they were the least tedious way to grind gear and XP. The wife was wary of them for the longest time. She's still a bit timid about matchmaking / playing with strangers in general, but eventually she caught the strike bug, and by the end of D1 I was actually the one asking "Can we please do something other than Strike playlists tonight?".

I was definitely ready to try out some D2 strikes, though, and really to do something other than story missions / adventures. Probably because I've already started doing the campaign and some adventures solo with a second character, I was more in the mood for all out brawling, or just cruising the world wreaking havoc and trying out the different activities.

The two strikes we did were both quite different from the inverted spire strike from the beta. That one had a feel like a mini-raid, with semi-puzzles, platforming aspects, and multiple stages to the boss. The two strikes that came up last night were much more like classic D1 strikes. Though there was a fair amount of traveling around, a bit of 'protect this area from waves of enemies' and similar, it was mostly just down and dirty brawling. The suggested power level was 140, but even with both of us around 220 we found the strikes to not be a cakewalk, which is good. Rewards were so-so, a stack of blue gear to be broken down into parts, not a bad deal since we were so far beyond the recommended level, and parts add up to legendary engrams pretty fast. RNGesus granted the Ol' Warlock an exotic engram, and myself a legendary for extra perks.

Rolling back to the open world we cruised around, getting random fights, hopping into whatever public events were going on, doing our patrols and challenges. The patrols so far seem a little less straightforward, the simple 'collect X materials from foes' weren't great about specifying which foes we were after, and we'd finish some pretty good brawls and realize we hadn't picked up squat. Not a big deal, as I'm sure we'll figure it out eventually, and as usual, patrols mostly just add a bit purpose to cruising around the world shooting things.

The new fast travel system made the whole process of chasing challenges much less of a chore, as we were able to kill Cabal in one area, zip over to the Gulch for the lost sector, then jump to Trostland to hunt Fallen Caches. Sure, sparrows are nice, and we could have flown all across the map to do these things, but it was so much nicer to not have to anymore.

We finished up the challenges and prepared to head back to the Farm to cash in all our rewards, when we realized the Ol' Warlock was (what seemed to be) a hair's breadth away from getting a bright engram. Just a bit more XP, we'll run around a kill a few things and be done, no problem! This was where things got weird and frustrating for her, as we quickly realized that for whatever reason, I was getting 3x XP for everything, while she was not. Odd, since this was our first foray out with these characters this week, so, in theory, we should have both been getting 3x XP on our first 3 levels of the week. I can confirm that I had the "Well Rested" status that grants this, for whatever reason I didn't think to check her status to confirm that she didn't have it. All I could figure was that the 3x applies to your first 3 "Full" levels, and doesn't kick in until you start on a new level that week. I'd already earned my first bright, and was working on a new level, and hadn't been paying attention prior to that, so can't say whether or not I was getting 1x prior to that. So, just a theory, could also just be a bug with a game this new. But, it led to having to do a bit of a grind, and one frustrated Warlock, watching me get 3x the reward for every kill, when she just needed a little more for her engram. Hopefully she'll get the appropriate 3x our next time out.

Not the most exciting war story, but it was a pretty enjoyable experience, and a glimpse of where we'll inevitably end up after finishing the campaign, exhausting the adventures, etc. I've been a bit concerned about longevity of activities, with how much leveling has been cut from subclasses and gear. But doing our 3 Patrols unlocked 'Flashpoints', and I still have no idea what Meditations are, so it seems they've made an attempt to add more activities to the world, and geared things to at least allow the game to go on being worth jumping in after each weekly reset and spending an evening or two doing a few weekly activities and taking advantage of the 3 levels of 3x XP.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

GRRowl74 (09-14-2017), Siggman (09-14-2017), TonkaToys (09-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 788 Posts
    Me, lakiboy, and dirtydisc got the NF done last night all wearing the clan tag, so hopefully you guys get your engram for it - at least I think that's how it's supposed to work? I know the clan guy had one for me when we were done.

Boss was as usual kind of annoying as you can't do consistent DPS on him until the latter phases. When we finally got him, it was using a combo of shields dropped by Lakiboy on the circles, with me dropping healing circles and dirtydisc dropping empowering rifts. You really need to focus on staying alive and putting DPS on the final boss once he stops that moving around nonsense.

Presto Bitch!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike Forehand For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (09-29-2017), Gink (09-29-2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast