Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 821 Posts

Destiny 2 First Impressions / Reviews

After getting to play for long stretches at a time and put in quite a few hours over the weekend, here are my thoughts on the game so far.

Overall it's been the same great Destiny experience, with quite a few small improvements that make a surprisingly large difference. Gunplay is awesome as always, though I feel there may be some changes coming to weapon balancing, etc down the line. In 1 I greatly preferred Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles, maybe a Pulse Rifle here and there. Landing Crits was everything, and you could really feel the impact of the slow, heavy, ranged weapons. So far in D2, Hand Cannons and Scout Rifles mostly just feel slow, with the increased damage not really balancing out. Tearing through enemies with Auto Rifles and SMGs seems more effective, and feels more rewarding at this point. Maybe it'll be different when I start lone wolfing with a Hunter though, as I tend to play more carefully when out and about on my own. My wife plays the Kamikaze Warlock style, and it tends to cause me to fall into a rushing headlong into the fray style as well.

There seems to be less guidance or linearity this time around, at least after the first few solo missions. Things get wide open pretty fast and you can either rush through the story as quickly as possible, or easily get distracted by adventures. I feel like we took the "wrong" approach, doing all the available adventures on each new plant before moving on to the next one that opens in the story, but there hasn't been a huge downside to that as far as I can tell. Possibly it delayed opening up Strikes, Patrols, and Challenges, and kept some sources of pretty good rewards locked away longer than necessary. We also didn't get sparrows until we'd put on 1 level past 20 and gotten our first bright engram. Quite likely it's possible to finish the story before 20. Not sure as we still haven't finished the story!

Still, we're past level 20, 230ish power, running all legendary/exotic gear, with all 3 subclasses unlocked and fully levelled up, and have only completed 1 challenge, done 1 patrol, and the only activities where we've done the same thing multiple times are the public events, as they tend to be constantly popping up and causing us to veer off momentarily in the middle of our adventures. Have only explored a couple of lost sectors, so there still seems to be quite a lot of content tucked away waiting for us. So, at this point it's not feeling nearly as grindy/farmy as D1.

The fast travel system on planets is great. Not having to constantly go to orbit is amazing. The adventures add a lot more 'unique' things to do. I do miss bounties a bit, as it always felt like I was accomplishing a lot of things at once, and inspired approaching repeated tasks and strikes in different ways to fulfill the bounties. I suppose the new challenges and milestones pretty much replace them, I just need to start paying more attention to them to make sure I'm working on them while out and about.

The rarity of engrams that have to be decrypted by the cyrptarch seemed a bit odd at first, being used to hauling a bag of engrams back after each mission to sit and decrypt and hope for something good. But, all-in-all not having to constantly return to the Farm has been a good thing. The worlds feel a lot more like complete worlds rather than disconnected sections, missions, etc that you return to orbit / the tower in between. You can stay out in the field for much longer stints, just finding a relatively safe place now and then to see what new goodies are in your inventory, or visit the NPC on that planet to turn in all the materials and tokens you've collected to see what falls out of the legendary engram they give you.

Another odd change is that they've completely done away with leveling and unlocking weapons. You straight away have access to whatever different perks/scopes/etc a piece of gear has. I don't really understand the thought process behind this, as it seems to take away one of the things that would drive players to keep grinding. With subclasses being so easy to complete, and gear not needing to be leveled up, it is hard to say what they plan to be the driving force to keep players playing for years to come. Maybe they are just that confident in the amount and playability of the content. We'll see.

So yes, all-in-all you could call this Destiny 1.5, in essence it's the same game. Core mechanics are pretty much the same, same enemy races, though there are new types of enemies in each race, and their AI has definitely been improved to put up more of a fight. A lot of the changes between D1 and 2 sound pretty small on paper, especially put next to the changes D1 went through between it's launch and this game's. But they all add up to an experience that's altogether dramatically improved in ways I didn't even realize it needed to be.

Now, there are still Strikes, Raids, and other activities I haven't done yet, and as I haven't even finished the story, we'll see if the non-grindy feeling can carry on post story, or if we wear out all the adventures quickly and start getting into rinse & repeat territory. As for the story, it seems like there is more to it and it's probably better than the first time around, but honestly, with D1 I got in the habit of barely even listening and just looking at quest markers / goals to figure out what to do. I need to try and break that habit and see if there's some sort of story of substance that's worth paying attention to.

In summary, so far so good, but we'll see how it stands the test of time and how long it takes to exhaust the unique content. Will report back if I reach that point!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (09-12-2017), Gadnos316 (09-11-2017), JockoPablo (09-11-2017), Major Stains (09-11-2017), Mc Nature Boy (09-11-2017), Siggman (09-14-2017)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Great review thanks Gink.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

FNG
    Thanks
    So far so good for me too. Never played Destiny 1, but am excited to jump back into a Bungie product.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mc Nature Boy For This Useful Post:

Gink (09-11-2017), Major Stains (09-11-2017), TonkaToys (09-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Thanks Gink - have you tried any crucible stuff yet? Is that even still a thing?
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    I did two quick matches in the crucible just to complete an early quest. I'm not a fan of the new 4v4 format, but I like the fact that not everyone is running around with shotguns like they were in D1. I feel like there is a major imbalance with weapons right now, though. I know I stink at PVP, but the TTK for the weapons I was using seemed a bit harsh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (09-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    I feel like there is a major imbalance with weapons right now, though.
    I noticed this in the beta as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    Thanks Gink - have you tried any crucible stuff yet? Is that even still a thing?
    It is a thing, but I haven't checked it out yet. I do have a mission to do 2 rounds, so will probably jump in for at least that much at some point.

Thanks
    I've never played D1 so must say my D2 experience so far is a positive one.
    Three things to add here:
    - I do like to soak in the total atmosphere of a game (including a story line if any) so I'm currently still moving thru the main campaign (lvl19/191 and still have to unlock iO)
    This however puts me behind on the avg level of most of the clan players atm. So unfortunately I can't contribute to the raids yet.
    - Crucible PvP also gives me great value. For now. Can compare it with the first DZ visits in the Division. My fear is that maxed out players and the imbalanced weapons (for now) might kill the fun in the longer run for moderate headshot aces like myself
    - Clan possibilities and mechanics are awesome. But that might also have to do with the fact that I feel a lot of support and shared info from our own MP clan members, which is awesome!
    However it's not easy to keep track of all channels these days: this website, bungie clan site & message forum, ps4 D2 forum. Must feel like working at the Post office. lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (09-14-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggman View Post
    I've never played D1 so must say my D2 experience so far is a positive one.
    Three things to add here:
    - I do like to soak in the total atmosphere of a game (including a story line if any) so I'm currently still moving thru the main campaign (lvl19/191 and still have to unlock iO)
    This however puts me behind on the avg level of most of the clan players atm. So unfortunately I can't contribute to the raids yet.
    Don't worry too much about this. You'll find folks around here will be progressing at all different rates. Yes, you'll see a group of highly dedicated folks racing ahead and always being ready for the next big challenge to open up. But there will also always be some of us fiddling around and lagging behind. And there will be members who decide to pick up the game down the road and will be starting out fresh 6 months or more from now. I personally have a 20/230 Titan and a 12/120 Hunter going at the moment. Sure, if I put all my time into 1 character I'd probably be closer to the max power levels by now, but we all play our own way.

- Crucible PvP also gives me great value. For now. Can compare it with the first DZ visits in the Division. My fear is that maxed out players and the imbalanced weapons (for now) might kill the fun in the longer run for moderate headshot aces like myself
    I still haven't jumped into the Crucible yet this time around. But, unless I'm wrong, I think the mechanics are the same as last time, where, in standard crucible matches, gear and levels are balanced out, so maxed out players shouldn't have too much of an advantage. Though, balancing between weapon types is still a factor until they get that worked out, or, will always be a factor that just shifts from weapon to weapon as they try to balance. D1 seemed to go through lots of phases where a specific weapon type was all the rage in the Crucible. I was never a huge crucible player, but I spent a fair amount of time in games there, and fortunately always felt like I could at least hold my own regardless of level, what weapons I decided to roll with. Hopefully the experience will be similar this time around.

- Clan possibilities and mechanics are awesome. But that might also have to do with the fact that I feel a lot of support and shared info from our own MP clan members, which is awesome!
    However it's not easy to keep track of all channels these days: this website, bungie clan site & message forum, ps4 D2 forum. Must feel like working at the Post office. lol
    The clan integration is very nice this time around, I hope they keep improving it and adding rewards and features. The multitude of channels is definitely overwhelming at times, personally I've found I have to stick with a few that work best for me, that I can fit into a regular rotation, as unfortunately I can't keep up with them all. These days I tend to hang around here, pop over to Discord when I'm caught up, and check the clan page on Bungie.net for new members or discussion. That's about all I can handle. The PS4 D2 forum is pretty lively, but I just can't keep up with it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

Siggman (09-15-2017)

Thanks
    Great thoughts on the topics, Gink. Much appreciated.
    Guess every player must stay true to his/her play groove. Trying too adapt much to others usually makes the experience go sour in the long run.
    In addition - as you said - there's enough variety in the clan pool to find someone to fit your play style, but the initiative should come from one's self to go and find these matches.

The numerous communication flows however is still a tough nut to crack. To keep up with these simultaneously I would find myself with 4 screens on my lap and a controller in my hand. Still got to shift in those.
    I've noticed there a lively "debate" in the State of the Union-thread going on that might facilitate some choices in this matter in the longer run.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

Gink (09-25-2017)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast