Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Discord

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 814 Posts
    Thanks for the info guys, I will get back into touch with the Titan folks and see if they can give me any info on why this is happening.

Thanks
    Jocko, are you getting the username/password login before the authorize screen?

For me I see a login button in the site box, click it, then on the next screen click "login with Discord", then get a new tab to enter my login in, then I get the authorize page which lists all the things I'm authorizing the app to do and click the authorize button.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gink View Post
    Jocko, are you getting the username/password login before the authorize screen?

For me I see a login button in the site box, click it, then on the next screen click "login with Discord", then get a new tab to enter my login in, then I get the authorize page which lists all the things I'm authorizing the app to do and click the authorize button.
    Yes. The first time I hit the authorize button I got the "banned" error. Now when I click it nothing happens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Gink (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    Yes. The first time I hit the authorize button I got the "banned" error. Now when I click it nothing happens.
    Well, the TitanEmbeds lead is supposed to be checking things out, but I'm not hearing much from him. I'm digging through the Discord Developer Guide and the TitanEmbed codebase to try and at least get some of idea of how all this stuff is supposed to work together. Would be nice if there was a log, or more specific error messages to tell us what's really going on, since obviously you guys aren't banned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (3 Weeks Ago)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,238 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Good work Gink. I had a look at the Alpha on the Blue Morbid theme and it looked good.
    FYI I could see all of the channels without signing in on desktop Firefox browser, but can't see anything come up on Safari desktop browser or Safari iOS.

Will there be any channels encouraging traffic back through the door this way?
    Like a #whatsonatTeamMP, or #TeamMPgamenights with members sharing links to posts they think other users might be interested in.

It might help to integrate the two systems?

integrate
    ˈɪntɪɡreɪt/
    verb
    bring (people or groups with particular characteristics or needs) into equal participation in or membership of a social group or institution.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tthfry View Post
    I had a look at the Discord Hooks the other day and I was able to post to my playground via the API. The chat box must be using some kind of hook too, informing it to post the milestone. Theoretically you would 'just' have to send a POST to a different URL... ������ Unfortunately I can't fiddle around with vB for the reasons at hand.
    The Discord API looks pretty good. It allows us to set up our own webhooks and all that. Creating our own bots even seems viable if we ever have good reason. It's all js/node/json, easy to work with.
    On the vB side, there's an internal hook that fires anytime a new post is made. That's what the chat box code is tied to, it checks the user's total post count and if it matches the set interval (every 100 posts), it creates a notification in the chat box. So yes, we'd basically need the same logic, but want it to fire off a POST to a custom webhook in Discord. We'd just need to create a new plugin tied to the appropriate vB hook, written in PHP of course. How are your PHP chops? Mine are a) rusty, b) I hate bloody PHP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

tthfry (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    Good work Gink. I had a look at the Alpha on the Blue Morbid theme and it looked good.
    FYI I could see all of the channels without signing in on desktop Firefox browser, but can't see anything come up on Safari desktop browser or Safari iOS.
    Interesting. Safari and iOS are always odd beasts. Apple isn't especially interested in conforming to industry standards. Though it's always a challenge just trying to get things working similarly between even just Chrome and Firefox, throw in IE/Edge, Safari, and iOS and it becomes quite the nightmare.

I think we'll also probably have to do some fine-tuning on what's accessible without logging in. Though, if I recall correctly, the chat/discord box probably isn't visible to visitors of teammp.net until they login? Might have to test that.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    Will there be any channels encouraging traffic back through the door this way?
    Like a #whatsonatTeamMP, or #TeamMPgamenights with members sharing links to posts they think other users might be interested in.
    It might help to integrate the two systems?
    Anything's possible. I've mostly been focused on the technical aspects, laying the pipe and tying things together. We'll definitely have to continue thinking about / discussing what sort of cool features can be added, and exploring how we can integrate and tie everything together to improve the overall MP user experience. I've just barely started digging into the developer guide for Discord. I'm happy with what I see, it's pretty flexible, modern, and accessible, basically all the things that vB isn't. So we'll continue to have some of the same challenges in that vB doesn't play well with others, regardless of how willing Discord is to integrate.

But, from what I've seen, I can see the possibility of having a channel in Discord that updates with various types of activity that goes on here, new posts, etc. Which would be pretty handy, especially since it would appear in realtime, unlike this site, where you have to reload the page, or move to another page before the sidebar gets updated with new posts.

There may also be hooks for events posted here that could be broadcast across. But we've never had a ton of luck with getting folks to use the events calendar here to set up game times. Understandably, as it's not the most apparent, nor the best working system when it comes to different timezones. Not sure what the solution for that is though. Sure would be nice to have something for setting up events / signing up to groups that inspired folks to actually use it.

Thanks
    Well, based on input form the TitanEmbed creator, we've flipped a switch that may fix the authentication problem. Let me know if you can connect now, or still have the same problems.
    Last edited by Gink; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    The Discord API looks pretty good. It allows us to set up our own webhooks and all that. Creating our own bots even seems viable if we ever have good reason. It's all js/node/json, easy to work with.
    On the vB side, there's an internal hook that fires anytime a new post is made. That's what the chat box code is tied to, it checks the user's total post count and if it matches the set interval (every 100 posts), it creates a notification in the chat box. So yes, we'd basically need the same logic, but want it to fire off a POST to a custom webhook in Discord. We'd just need to create a new plugin tied to the appropriate vB hook, written in PHP of course. How are your PHP chops? Mine are a) rusty, b) I hate bloody PHP
    My PHP is a little bit rusty, too. Haven't done much lately (bloody mysql errors on my personal site for a year now...). But I'm on rather good terms with it - not a pro though.

I already fiddled around a bit with an appropriate JSON for a post notifier (the "What's new" channel). Think I may need some more work on that one but it's pretty nice already. The milestone notifier *should* be relatively simple. We may be able to take most of what's needed from the chatbox plugin.

edit: Oh, I forgot: Titan works now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tthfry For This Useful Post:

Gink (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Well, based on input form the TitanEmbed creator, we've flipped a switch that may fix the authentication problem. Let me know if you can connect now, or still have the same problems.
    Works now, thanks Gink.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast