Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 800 Posts

Team mp 2017 game of the year!! Rules + nominations thread!!

Hi All -

Time once again for our annual Team MP Game of the Year nominations and bracket-style competition.

Here's how it will work this year.

In this thread, or on the Discord in the #game-of-the-year channel, you can nominate up to 5 games for Game of the Year. These could be PC games, PS4 exclusives, XB exclusives, or Wii/Nintendo exclusives. You don't have to have played the game, but it certainly helps. You don't have to rank your nominations - each game you nominate will receive one vote.

To be eligible, a game must have released during calendar year 2017, and should not be DLC. When in doubt, I will use this list to determine eligibility:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_video_gaming

On January 14 at Noon, nominations will be closed. At that point, all games that received nominations will be ranked and the games that received the most nominations will be seeded from #1 to #8. If there are ties for any seeding, the ties will be broken by the game that has the higher average user score on metacritic.

Each game will be matched up in a direct 1 vs. 1 match - #1 vs. #8, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs. #6, #4 vs. #5. Each matchup will be run in an individual poll on the Team MP Site in the "General Gaming" folder. Match-ups will be announced on Discord, but not actual voting will the place on discord - all votes must be recorded via the poll on the Teammp.net forums. All polls will run for at least one week. Winners of each match-up will move up to the "Final 4" and then lastly the championship match-up - full on NCAA bracket-style.

All participants are highly encouraged to list the reasons for their nominations or votes, as one of the benefits of this is to learn about games you may not have played yet. Debate is encouraged.
    Last edited by Spike Forehand; 12-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    To kick shit off, here's my nominations - in no particular order:

Farpoint

Yes - I know this one probably has no chance of making it, but it really was a pretty cool experience for PSVR. An on-rails arcade shooter set on a an unidentified planet, it's biggest selling point and biggest thrill was the introduction of the PSVR Aim controller. It also had a very fun co-op element, and has stayed current with DLC and an emerging PvP mode - which I admit to not having tried yet. This is my go-to game when letting visitors try out PSVR and it has a super high fun factor.

Resident Evil 7

I have never played a RE game before, but had to try this one due to the integration of PSVR into the full game. I played through the whole thing in VR, and it was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. Actually having to duck to hide behind a piece of furniture when getting stalked by some psycho was amazing in VR. Additionally, the grainy horror-movie set and graphics were a nice fit with PSVR's lower resolution. Plenty of jump scares and lots of challenge in the game, it's one that I will no doubt run through again at a higher difficulty at some point. All that being said, it wasn't a perfect game in that the second half of the game was not as good as the front half - which was amazing.

Horizon Zero Dawn

This game is simply amazing and a super-exciting new franchise for Guerilla Games. IMO this is the best looking console game ever released. Amazing lush landscapes contrasting with awesome cool lighting of robotic dinosaurs and in a fantastic soundscape. The enemies are varied and overwhelmingly powerful during the early game - requiring application of strategies to get through. These strategies learned serve you well later in the game, when you are the one that begins to feel OP and have an arsenal of tools at your disposal. The story alongside all this awesome functionality and incredible graphics is also really good - keeping you engaged throughout. I really loved this game and it's pretty close to perfect.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Winning a chicken dinner after about 150 matches and a ton of near misses was one of the most exciting gaming achievements ever for me. (skip to the end to hear how I scared the crap out of my dog):

As an early access title for most of the year on PC and then xbox, the game definitely has it's flaws. In particular, the extreme PC specs required to reasonably run the game, the influx of chinese hackers overrunning the PC servers, and the too-many-to-mention problems on XBOX should rightfully hold it back. However, the beauty of the game design - from the addictiveness of chasing a chicken dinner, the ability to apply different strategies to win, the ultimate equity of everyone dropping in with nothing but the clothes on their backs really makes this a great game, and one of my favorite games of the year and the one I will probably spend the most hours playing in 2017.

I am holding off on naming my 5th nominee until I get a chance to play a bit more of Doom, Assasin's Creed Origins, and Doom VFR - that I just received as an xmas present.

EDIT:::: Jan 10:

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Sure - it followed the standard Ubisoft open world format that is familiar to those who have played Far Cry or Assassin's Creed, but I thought the excellent gun-play and the deep and very fun campaign with great enemies set this game apart. The world of Bolivia was beautiful and the missions for me offered a "just right" level of difficulty.

I especially loved the way you could play either solo with your three AI squadmates, but if a friend joined they would seamlessly appear in game instead of the AI squadmates. Then when your friend left the game, the AI guys would just seamlessly re-appear.

There were a few buggy things with the game - from AI squadmates that could shoot through walls to very hinky driving controls - but I did spend hours in this game and enjoyed it immensely.
    Last edited by Spike Forehand; 01-10-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Adding 5th nominee.

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    I'll just not actually link any videos here. You know how to google, right? :p

Horizon Zero Dawn
    Actually a no-brainer. Beautiful story, marvelous landscapes. I especially liked the intro where you play young Aloy, would have loved that part a bit longer. I haven't even finished it yet, but that's the thing with me and open worlds - at some point I wander off and sometimes it's hard to return.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    I played nearly every Ghost Recon, it's a nice franchise. We had lots of MP fun in Bolivia and did most missions in groups of at least 2. Again a game I haven't yet finished due to the vast open world. The release of Ghost War gave it a second wind later in the year but it didn't yet catch for me. Sadly, I'd say, Wildlands deserves better - the timing was just bad, I guess.

AC: Origins
    Only just got it a couple of weeks ago. Again, an impressively giant open world that I'm sure I'll never complete until some day when I just grind through the main mission. Stunning visuals, free flight with the bird of prey (pun intended) and a control scheme that's rather good once you get the hang of it. Of course, it's Assassin's Creed, so what can go wrong, right? I love how they included the real world again (I think this doesn't count towards "spoiler", right?).

Thimbleweed
    I actually haven't got the chance to play this one, but I watched the whole in a let's play. While I didn't grow up with Ataris like you guys, but with an 886, I dwell in fond memories of point and click adventures, especially the Lucas games. Thimbleweed had some tough riddles that even I, the riddle master, couldn't solve easily (from just watching). Nice retro game with quite some loco cast.

Prey (nearly forgot this one)
    To be fair, I only remembered Prey because of the list that was posted on the Discord. BUT I loved it when I played it. I even started a 2nd walkthrough to try and mess around with the alien enhancements (kept away from those on the first run). Right, I started but I didn't finish... Fun choice of weaponry, very limited ammo and resources. I think I even remember one or the other tougher riddle.

Honorable mentions
    Sadly I only get 5 nominations. I've watched and played a couple of other games this year that were very good but just not *as* good:
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Deep story, nice visuals, a little bit disturbing at times. I haven't actually played, but the controls seemed wonky at times.
    Fortnite Not officially released this year (except for the Battle Royale bit) Fortnite is possibly on my shortlist for next year. I gave in over Halloween and bought a Founder's Pack with a friend and we did grind the Halloween missions quite some. Sadly he kind of lost interest so it went a bit stale lately. Still, a good contester for next year.
    Human: Fall Flat Only watched a couple of LP episodes. Stupidly fun rag doll puzzler. Can't wait to get my hands on this title and grab a couple of friends sometime. :)

Over and out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,028 Posts
    I'll only nominate games that I've actually played - so that means Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Star Wars Battlefront 2 - which I've been playing single player on since Christmas

I also have Horizon Zero Dawn, but I haven't tried it yet :( so cannot nominate it.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    I also have Horizon Zero Dawn, but I haven't tried it yet :( so cannot nominate it.
    Try it ...and suddenly 12 hours will disappear and you'll feel like you should turn it off because that would be responsible ...but you don't and more time fly's by!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (01-02-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    I'll only nominate games that I've actually played - so that means Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Star Wars Battlefront 2 - which I've been playing single player on since Christmas

I second what Retro said, you need to play HZD. It’s one of the best games I’ve played in years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

TonkaToys (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Rightho - I'll try it before the nomination window closes.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    Whoever this is reminds you to make your nominations now. Noms close on the 13th 0 one week from tomorrow.

Spoiler

Presto Bitch!!

Thanks
    My votes are:

Horizon Zero Dawn- overall great story, fun gameplay and the enemies were just fun to fight. It got challenging at times but not hard enough that it chased me away. Aloy is a great hero, and loved her dry sense of humor. My top vote for GOY.

Hellblade- the gameplay was okay, but they absolutely nailed it with the sound design and overall atmosphere. Seeing the world through Sensuas eyes was one of the coolest experiences I’ve had in a game

Ghost Recon- I’ll admit I haven’t beaten it, and rarely got in much time with MPs, but playing this with friends will bring unforgettable laughs and is just a cool experience despite the games repetitive gameplay

Honorable mention: Nier Automata. Very few probably played it, and on the surface seems like a kids game. But once you get into the story and it’s multiple endings, it’s actually quite dramatic. Several scenes actually brought a tear to my eye.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

Retro (01-10-2018), TonkaToys (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,395 Times in 1,545 Posts
    Already put mine on Discord, but I'll add them here.

My nominations are;

1. Ghost Recon: Wildlands
    2. NBA 2K18
    3. PUBG
    4. Horizon Zero Dawn
    5. Assassin's Creed Origins

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast