Thanks

credit card fraud

Apr 18, 2011 MCISuisseSA3D Geneve 1,403.92 $3,551.71
    Apr 18, 2011 MCISuisseSA3D Geneve 1,349.65 $2,147.79

thank goodness I'm not on the hook for those charges.

The purchases were made on 15 Apr, 2011 and they had tried to make another purchase for airline tickets on the 18th. I had tried to make a small purchase only to find my card was declined on two occassions.

Thanks

Re: credit card fraud

oh man that sucks bad. What a headache to go through. Do you have any idea where they may have gotten the numbers?

Thanks

Man, that sucks! Glad you are not being held responsible for those charges.

MPV
    Thanks

This sucks. Even if your off the hook for the money, I know it bugs you wondering how they got the number. My wife had the same thing happen. Charges started showing up at, of all things, a Mexican grocery store. We were scrutinizing statements for several months after. Never figured out where they got the number, but everything I've read says it happens a lot in places where someone takes your card out of sight, like a restaurant.

Thanks

I should have caught on faster cause I check my banking almost daily. When called in, I was puzzled and still did not clue in why my credit limit was low relative to my full limit.

The banks here in Canada have made chip technology mandatory for all CC now. The liability has shifted to the retailer if a CC is used without a chip pin input. Since 31 March, 2011 that is the case so I'm glad I'm not on the hook, but I'm very careful with my CC, even before this happening. There are some places I have used in the past 6 months are very suspiscious of doing this scam.

The good part is they caught on after those two charged went through and I was lucky enough to want to use my CC on monday when the card was already frozen.

I just need to change my CC number with a couple of retailers who automatically bill me, but I'm not gonna update that info. that does not make sense. =))

They said the card was not copied so all the person did was copy down my info and sold that info or gave it away. Thats how that purchase was made. Its insane how much your credit card company knows how and when your account is used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam007
    I should have caught on faster cause I check my banking almost daily. When called in, I was puzzled and still did not clue in why my credit limit was low relative to my full limit.

The banks here in Canada have made chip technology mandatory for all CC now. The liability has shifted to the retailer if a CC is used without a chip pin input. Since 31 March, 2011 that is the case so I'm glad I'm not on the hook, but I'm very careful with my CC, even before this happening. There are some places I have used in the past 6 months are very suspiscious of doing this scam.

The good part is they caught on after those two charged went through and I was lucky enough to want to use my CC on monday when the card was already frozen.

I just need to change my CC number with a couple of retailers who automatically bill me, but I'm not gonna update that info. that does not make sense. =))

They said the card was not copied so all the person did was copy down my info and sold that info or gave it away. Thats how that purchase was made. Its insane how much your credit card company knows how and when your account is used.
    Buy a shredder for all your junk mail, some of these guys will literally go through your trash to find info on you. And they love those "You have been pre-approved" letters.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks

Itís very easy for a cashier of any kind to get your CC info. The receipt that the stores keep usually has all the CC info on them and the copy they give back to you itís Xíd out. My parents received a call a few weeks ago from an online store verifying a large purchase online. When they told the person calling they had not made any online purchase recently. The guy calling told them they need to see if there card was stolen. The card in question was still in my dadís wallet. He went to his bank to get another card and when he told them what had happened they asked if he had recently shopped at the local Wal-Mart. The bank said they had several people come in with the same story and they all had recently shopped at the same Wal-Mart. Someone at that Wal-Mart was copying the CC info from the receipts the store keeps and then shopping online with them. I really sucks that someone can get your CC info that easy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theczech99
    Itís very easy for a cashier of any kind to get your CC info. The receipt that the stores keep usually has all the CC info on them and the copy they give back to you itís Xíd out. My parents received a call a few weeks ago from an online store verifying a large purchase online. When they told the person calling they had not made any online purchase recently. The guy calling told them they need to see if there card was stolen. The card in question was still in my dadís wallet. He went to his bank to get another card and when he told them what had happened they asked if he had recently shopped at the local Wal-Mart. The bank said they had several people come in with the same story and they all had recently shopped at the same Wal-Mart. Someone at that Wal-Mart was copying the CC info from the receipts the store keeps and then shopping online with them. I really sucks that someone can get your CC info that easy!
    In Canada the customer copy and the store copy only have the last 4 digits of the card.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."