Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,546 Posts

PlayStation 4

The priority for Sony when it comes to the PlayStation 4 is to have the best console on the market, not the first nor the cheapest.

Speaking to Gametrailers, U.S. boss of Sony Computer Entertainment Jack Tretton outlined the company's philosophy regarding the next generation of home consoles.

"We've never been first. We've never been cheapest, " Tretton said. "It's about being the best. If you can build a better machine, and it's going to come out a little bit later, that's better than rushing something to market that's going to run out of gas for the long term.

"Ideally, in a perfect world, you want the best machine that ships first, that's cheapest. But the number one goal is to be the best machine, and that's what we're always focused on."
    A little shot at Nintendo?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Mutt

PlayStation 4

Yes. The Vita is a good example. It's being outsold 20:1 although it's technically superior. They are forecasting selling 11 million units by the next fiscal year. So far they are at what 1.2, 1.4? Everyone knows they need to drop the price, yet they refuse to do it.

The Wii was cheaper and technically inferior in comparison to the PS3 but not made cheaply. They had the lowest failure rate compared to the 360 and PS3.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mutt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,546 Posts

Re: PlayStation 4

And the Wii also had the highest rate of collecting dust after the first year of ownership. What's the point? If Nintendo actually believes that the same "casual" market they attracted with the Wii, those who were never really into games to begin with, will buy the Wii U, I think they are wrong. The majority of those people are the same type that will say, "why, I already have one, what's the point?". A lot of them have moved on to playing games on their phone/tablet or on Facebook.

Let's get this out right now, I am not a Nintendo fanboy nor am I a Nintendo hater. That goes for Sony and Microsoft as well. I tend to buy every console each generation starting with the one I feel is the best option. Current generation it was the 360 do to a couple exclusives and how open MS was with 3rd party developers and what that meant for 3rd party quality. Before that, it was the PS2 not Xbox. I loved the PS2 for SOCOM alone. I ended up getting the XBOX and Gamecube later on. The generation before that? N64 was my first choice, not Playstation. Generation before that, Sega Genesis, before SNES and Turbo Graphix 16. Before that NES, not Mastersystem. Atari before Coleco.

Basically brand name, does not mean shit to me. I am 100% objective when it comes to consoles. I have no allegiance to any company. I want them all to succeed and I will praise them when they do and I will call them out when they do not. The last 6 years, Nintendo has dropped the ball when it comes to the home console (DS is awesome). I don't give a damn that they sold a ton of Wii's when I also know a very large amount are dust collectors. Sales numbers for consoles to me as a gamer mean nothing, it's about the experience and quality of software overall. Pointing out total units sold is like saying Justin Bieber & Lady Gaga the best singer/musicians around or that the Twilight series is the best movie/book series going.

Going into E3 I was hoping Nintendo was going to knock it out of the park with the Wii U. Simply because as a fan of gaming, I wanted to see what was next. What Nintendo showed was what was already here. Their big 3rd party game support was for games that have already been out for a year on the PS3/360. And the way they looked, exactly the same. I know gameplay is king and graphics are not everything, but they are important. When I owned the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, I thought they all looked great. Then I sat and watched the unveiling of the 360 and PS3, my jaw dropped. Going home to play Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on my PS2 after seeing Assassins Creed run on a PS3, all of sudden PoP:SoT just was not good enough anymore.
    That is what I was hoping for, that is what I wanted Nintendo to do with the Wii U. Instead they made me think what the hell is the point of throwing down $300 to $400.
    What did Nintendo offer?
    A proper gaming Network. Good, already available on the other two, but about time.
    3rd Party support. Outside of UbiSoft, not a whole lot. When the largest 3rd party publisher, Activision, is taking a "wait and see" approach at this late point in development that is not a good sign.
    Video chat. Not really important and I'll say it now, Kinect does it better.

As much as I believed Nintendo needed to create a new franchise to sit beside Mario, Zelda and the others, I didn't expect it. And they didn't deliver. That said I was really hoping that whatever Mario title they announced would be a knockout, on the same level as Mario 64. What we got was Super Mario with a "U" on the end and some touch screen functionality. Not good enough.

As a gaming fan I WANT NINTENDO TO SUCCEED AND BRING THEIR "A" GAME! Same goes for Microsoft and Sony when they officially announce their next consoles. E3 for Nintendo was a big let down, but I still hope they can do something in the next 6 months to bring out the "wow, I want that!". If Sony and MS do what Nintendo did this year, I will be bashing the hell out of both of them.

(In regards to console failure rate, yes in the first 2 years 360 had a high rate of failure. However the failure rate surveys are just that, surveys, not actual data on dead consoles. The gaming community is made up of a lot of fanboys and when someone calls or sends and e-mail or presents an online survey about failure rates, guess what they do? In the last 2 years I've seen a good number of people on this board alone talking about their PS3 failing or their Wii failing. While their has been hardly anything on 360.
    As for sales/profits, Nintendo last year lost over $500 million. Nowhere near the loss Sony took with $5.7 billion, however Sony's gaming division has actually been profitable since 2010. Microsoft has made a profit on the 360 since the second year of release, with MS last year (not just for gaming, but the company as a whole) had a net income of $23.4 billion. Nintendo desperately needed a "win" at E3 and all the showcase for Wii U has done is see Nintendo's stock fall since Tuesday afternoon buy more that $1.20 per share. A stock that had already been dropping the last two years.)

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

Psalm (07-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retro

Basically brand name, does not mean **** to me. I am 100% objective when it comes to consoles. I have no allegiance to any company. I want them all to succeed and I will praise them when they do and I will call them out when they do not.
    ...and everything else you said...

:applause:
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

Mutt

My point is having expensive hardware doesn't necessarly make it the best. Yes, Nintendo was disappointing at E3 this year. 1st party software was disappointing. I was expecting to be suprised by something that I had not read pre-E3 on the internet. Nintendoland was a suprise, but that's about it. I was expecting a Metroid, F-Zero or even a Super Smash Brothers game. 3rd party support scares me. Where was Square-Enix, Capcom, THQ, Konami? Aside from Zombi U we got games released 6 months to a year ago. They certainly didn't bring their A game to the conference.

Thanks

Nintendo was king, but they are falling fast. I too want Nintendo to do something awesome as their systems usually are a must buy for me for my kids (let's face it, all the gore is on the other systems...which is a plus for me). But what Retro said was right, I think many of the Wii users may actually prefer gaming on their tablets unless there is some sort of party gaming going on (which Nintendo does best).

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    I'm not sure where Sony plan to squeeze in this planned acquisition, but it is certainly a big move into cloud gaming. I read further reports that the PS4 has been in development since 2010, but then again I also read that Justin Bieber is a dude, so you can't believe everything you read!

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/sony-to-...r-380m-6385186
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

Borlaxx (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Sony on PlayStation 4: "Wait Until May at Least"

Reveal could be made before E3 in June.

http://spong.com/article/28723/Sony-...l-May-at-Least

Sony could unveil its next PlayStation as early as May, if the words of a cheeky corporate executive were anything to go by.

Hiroshi Sakamoto was chatting to Chilean news website emol.com at CES recently, when he flat-out refused to speak about the PlayStation 4... until he decided to speak about it.

According to the report, when Sakamoto was asked whether Sony would reveal its next console in the coming months, the exec replied, "That's still a big secret. But our friends are preparing PlayStation. I can only say that we are focused on the E3 gaming event, scheduled for June.

"Announcement may be in that minute or even earlier in May." Sakamoto hinted that the company was preparing a 'big announcement', adding "In that time we expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May at least."

Analyst: Sony, Microsoft Could Sell Next-Gen Consoles for $400
    http://spong.com/article/28729/Analy...les-for-USD400

How much do you think Microsoft and Sony will sell their next-generation consoles for? According to one eager analyst, it's likely that consumers won't have to pay more than $400.

CVG quotes Colin Sebastian of Baird Equity Research, who "partially" made the predictions based on some 'off-the-record meetings with "a number of companies."' There's no mention of what else factored into his comments though.

"Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from 'off the shelf' high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities," he said.

"The cost of production and retail price points should be lower than prior console launches," he added. Lower production costs, based on off-the-shelf parts, would allow for cheaper price points and thus allow Microsoft and Sony to come closer to breaking even on each console sale. In the past, console manufacturers have relied on selling hardware at a loss - but in today's market, that practice seems like a less attractive one.

Sebastian concluded that the use of such PC architecture would allow Microsoft in particular to tie up its next Xbox with Windows 8 and Windows Mobile.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to theczech99 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (01-14-2013)

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    I know it's speculation, but I read a confident report saying the smart money is on the new PS and XBox hitting the shelves for Christmas this year.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    And the Wii U also has the highest rate of collecting dust after the first year of ownership.)
    I had to update your post from June. Just add one letter and itís still true.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast