Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,274 Times in 2,443 Posts
    Okay, so first up. I saw this one in a store the other week, and being a sucker for a name/ label I just had to try a bottle.
    It was very tasty, kind of like a summer/ eat loads of bbq meats and get hammered in the afternoon sun kind of beer.
    But HC might know, is this really an Island beer or is it knocked out of a shed in East London and sold to sucker haolis like me?

Second up, and here is the best part. Did I mention the village we moved to has 3 pubs, a vineyard, and a brewery? Yes, a brewery!!!
    Last weekend I sampled 6 of the best, all named in a local theme, and all 6 were delicious. 2 more to try, but thats for next time.
    Living the dream my friends, living the dream...

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

Team MP - "Growing Old Disgracefully "

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (04-27-2017), Gadnos316 (04-26-2017), Gink (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 808 Posts
    Dunno if/how well it'll attach the photo posting from my phone, but had to take a quick snap of a shelf of our beer fridge. We had company the other night, wife picked up a 12 pack variety box of Kona beers. The Longboard Lagers are always the first to go. Dunno about your bottles, but ours say "Kona brewing Kona, HI Portland, OR somewhere WA somewhere MI. So they've at least expanded into the Continental US in recent years.

They may also be owned by a big ass beer company now, it's hard to keep track. Usually a few bucks less than other craft brews here, and less super hopped than the local NW brews, which is a nice change now and then.

Those local brews you've got there sound damn tasty. Glad you relocated to somewhere where you can keep from getting too thirsty!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gink; 04-26-2017 at 06:06 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (04-27-2017), Major Stains (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Nice. You married well there. I'd pass out from shock if my better half walked in with 12 brews for me!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (04-27-2017), Gink (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 808 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    Nice. You married well there. I'd pass out from shock if my better half walked in with 12 brews for me!
    Who said anything about her getting them for ME? She picked the Konas because she likes the less hoppy beers.

She does pick me up any Sours she spots though, my favorite style these days. So I'm pretty well kept.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gink View Post
    Who said anything about her getting them for ME? She picked the Konas because she likes the less hoppy beers.

She does pick me up any Sours she spots though, my favorite style these days. So I'm pretty well kept.

Well then, you should count yourself lucky as she has fine taste ;)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

Gink (04-26-2017)

Thanks
    Kona is owned by Craft Brew Alliance which in turn is owned partially by Anheuser B. Looks like a move made so that said alliance would use AnB distribution. Not that weird.

I remember reading an article about them a couple years ago about how they locally brew in other breweries. That really only makes sense considering it is just beer, and shipping every bottle from Hawaii would be stupid expensive. The only concern would be water profiles. You might order one in a different place and it might taste different.

I haven't had any of their beers in a few years but I recall enjoying them well enough.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HB721 For This Useful Post:

Gink (04-27-2017), Major Stains (04-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HB721 View Post
    Kona is owned by Craft Brew Alliance which in turn is owned partially by Anheuser B. Looks like a move made so that said alliance would use AnB distribution. Not that weird.
    Kona is the money hungry "brewery" in Hawaii. If you want the real craft beer from the islands, go Maui Brewing.
    This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,054 Posts
    So Fat Mike (frontman for NOFX) joined with Stone Brewing to make a beer for his upcoming craft beer/music fest. The beer was released at the brewery on Friday, so I figured a trip to San Diego was in order.

Not a fan of the beer (it's a lager, too light/weak for my taste). But I had to pick up a 6 pack for collector purposes. Very limited beer.

Here's my first draft at the brewery:

...and the sixer...

This missing signature brought to you by PhotoBucket.

This hobby we love called gaming has a huge proportion of scrotums playing it. - Major Stains

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardlyCapable13 For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (3 Weeks Ago), Gadnos316 (3 Weeks Ago), Major Stains (3 Weeks Ago)

Thanks
    Nice. Speaking of Punk, I have seriously got the taste for Brewdogs Punk IPA.
    I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the company on this thread, but they have certainly attracted their fair share of attention over the years...

BrewDog has described itself as a “post-punk, apocalyptic, motherfucker of a craft brewery” and urged its customers to “ride toward anarchy”. Its slogans include “In hops we trust,” “This is the revolution – so help me Dog,” and “Changing the world, one glass at a time.” It has a document that it calls its charter, which contains phrases such as: “We bleed craft beer,” “We blow shit up, and “Without us, we are nothing. We are BrewDog.”
    BrewDog embodies, in short, much about modern life that many people love to hate, particularly online and almost certainly beneath this article: you don’t have to search far to find someone on the internet calling BrewDog “hipsters”, “pretentious”, “wankers”, “arseholes” or simply “full of shit”. In the small but passionate world of British beer nerds, few subjects arouse stronger feelings than BrewDog: “an instinctively repulsive … operation of expanding beards and stupidly named gaseous beverages”, as one blogger put it.
    Read more about the fastest-growing food and drinks producer in Britain, and the fastest-growing bar and restaurant operator here

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (3 Weeks Ago), Gadnos316 (3 Weeks Ago), HardlyCapable13 (3 Weeks Ago)

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44