Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 772 Posts
    I dumped a lot of points into perception, did a fair amount of sniping and then used VATS once enemies came at me. Retro is right about legs, definitely helps, especially with feral ghouls, whose legs come off pretty easily, and can be quick and dodgy otherwise. Though it is awfully rewarding to shotgun or AR them in the face at close range, but not until you're far enough to handle getting hit here and there.

I like that the "save often" adage that's come with Bethesda games for so long isn't so much because it could glitch out at any time with this one, it's more because you might do something stupid or wander into someplace you shouldn't be at any point.

The difficulty curve of the game seems pretty steep at the beginning, but I found it to drop off faster than I expected, though this may be due to play style, and how much time I spent screwing around doing side quests, exploring, etc. I'm pretty sure I still have at least 10 unapplied skill points as I had most of the perks I wanted, wasn't sure what else to work on, and in the end, didn't need the extra skills to get through the main story.

I still need to get back in and play some of the DLC, or continue to explore the wasteland. It's amazing how much of the game is still left unexplored even after how long I put off finishing the main story.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

JockoPablo (06-14-2017)

Thanks
    The go-for-the-leg tip has helped tremendously. Thanks, guys.

When I'm using VATS I see a an option to Execute Critical hit, but it is always grayed out. I thought it was executing on it's on based on a roll, but apparently you have to initiate it during an attack, eh? [EDIT: I did some research and found the answer. You have to hit the button for after you've made a fire command in VATS but before you shoot.]

I just stumbled upon the section in my Pip that shows the status and needs of the settlements. I can see that becoming a nuisance very quickly.

Will I be prompted at any point to make more serious improvements or am I on my own? I'm wondering if I should start building walls around them for added security.

I can't believe how engrossing the F4 world is. Sometimes I just stop and look around, and I get a tinge of excitement every time a new location appears on my compass as I"m walking to another destination.
    Last edited by JockoPablo; 06-16-2017 at 10:15 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Retro (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Good guide on critical hits. http://www.carls-fallout-4-guide.com/critical-hit.php

Then for anything and everything Fallout related, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

JockoPablo (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    Beds, Water Pumps, and Plants are the basics to allow to a settlement to be hospitable and gain population. Turrets and Guard stations take care of the defense need. So for very basic settlement care. Build beds, plant crops, build turrets and guard stations. Make sure to assign settlers to guard stations and crops. Then try and keep an eye out for alerts they are under attack. Zip over there to defend it.

I didn't invest much in Charisma, which is required for more advanced settlement stuff like shops and transferring stuff in the workshop between settlements. So if you want to go heavy into settlement building, probably want to invest in Charisma. I haven't played since they added more building stuff and all the contraptions, etc. I walled in one or two settlements before deciding it was too much work. Never did really work to keep invaders out, they always find some way in. I'm sure there are ways to set up automatic defenses beyond turrets. Do walls better to corral invaders into traps or something. Pretty much up to you how deep you get into settlements. It's a fun feature, but not something I felt like spending a lot of time on after a while.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

JockoPablo (06-16-2017)

Thanks
    I just got my arse handed to me by the guys hanging out at the water station. That's the quest given at Grey Garden by the robot leader. Nice of them to send me to my death. After several quick deaths I decided to pass on that one for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    I just got my arse handed to me by the guys hanging out at the water station. That's the quest given at Grey Garden by the robot leader. Nice of them to send me to my death. After several quick deaths I decided to pass on that one for now.
    Isn't that place full of Super Mutants? Lol. Recall that one being a pain in the ass. Don't think I headed over there until after I'd made my way to Diamond City and leveled up a bit.

I was working on cleaning out some space on our PS4 HDD last night, despite having a 2TB in it, have managed to fill it up, realized I had around 100GB of screen shots and video captures. Started going through some of my FO4 captures, quite a few of which featured the many ways to die in the wasteland.
    Last edited by Gink; 06-16-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Yes, Super Mutants! I thought I could be crafty and pick them off one at a time, but they basically one-hit kill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 1,493 Posts
    My first attempt at the game, I got way too caught up in trying to build up settlements. It actually turned me off the game for awhile. When I picked it back up, I deleted and started again from scratch. Only did the basics for settlements as Gink said and just focused on progressing my character.

Ended up being far more fun. Then once you are high enough in level with more resources, then you can get to the serious base building and have fun with it.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    My first attempt at the game, I got way too caught up in trying to build up settlements. It actually turned me off the game for awhile. When I picked it back up, I deleted and started again from scratch. Only did the basics for settlements as Gink said and just focused on progressing my character.

Ended up being far more fun. Then once you are high enough in level with more resources, then you can get to the serious base building and have fun with it.
    Also gives you the chance to check out more of the various places that you can build settlements or choose to focus on making your "home" settlement.
    Just don't do like I did and fast travel back and forth to haul resources, spare armor, weapons, etc to a new location just to realize that you don't have enough charisma to add things like a power armor rack or a cooking station to the new settlement. Back to Sanctuary we go!

Thanks
    Fortunately I'm one charismatic s.o.b.

I like that the early settlements all have plenty of junk around to scrap so you can build up a modest store of resources from the start. So far I'm keeping Sanctuary as my home out of convenience.

The amount of tension in this game is pretty crazy. Every step I take I'm wary of something that could kill me in seconds.

I killed my first starred legendary baddie today. He was surprisingly easy to take. Didn't get much, though -- just a piece of armor for one arm.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Gadnos316 (06-17-2017), Gink (06-16-2017)

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast