Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
    Thanks
    I didn't get far into the game, but like you I got WAY too caught up in building settlements. Not even sure how far into the game I am because of doing this.

Good job on the kill... big enemies in this game are no joke (well at least for me).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

Gink (4 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Commonwealth wasteland diary, hour 16.

I find myself running scared, a lot. The lack of difficulty indicators on quests means I often find myself in over my head, either at a mission or trying to get to one. I can understand random exploration getting me in trouble, but it's a little frustrating when you pick up a quest as part of the natural progression and it leads you to your quick demise.

I have picked up my third companion option now and I've yet to see how any one is markedly better than the others. I'm guessing some will be able to help me with lock picking and/or hacking but I haven't really experimented yet.

Those Minutemen are a needy bunch.

I feel like I should have a much more powerful weapon by now. I've added some mods via the workbench, but my best weapon does only around 40 damage so far (not counting the missile launcher). I think I'll put a point in Gun Nut at the next level so I can access better mods.

I also feel like the final points I added to Perception were wasted, as I'm still missing entirely too many shots via VATS.

Diamond City is beautiful in design. I can see myself making that my home if I ever get enough bottle caps to afford the apartment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JockoPablo View Post
    Commonwealth wasteland diary, hour 16.

I find myself running scared, a lot. The lack of difficulty indicators on quests means I often find myself in over my head, either at a mission or trying to get to one. I can understand random exploration getting me in trouble, but it's a little frustrating when you pick up a quest as part of the natural progression and it leads you to your quick demise.
    You sort of have to adjust your thinking with this game. Or, maybe forget what we've gotten used to with the majority of games out there? There is definitely no hesitation in handing you quests that you are not at all ready for. Pretty much anytime you are wandering into unfamiliar areas you need to take your time and scout things out, and make the decision on whether you're ready to delve in, or need to turn around and find something easier.

In general, the further south you go, the harder it gets, but there are definitely some quests and areas in the north that can kill you quickly as well. personally I'd say the further you are in a radius from Sanctuary, the harder it's going to be.
    It can get frustrating not being able to just do anything in your quest list, but there's so much to do I usually found it easiest to just try and do nearby quests to wherever I was, rather than follow a specific quest line. Or just focus more on exploration and working through and discovering different areas, settlements, etc and just do the quests I could or was right by as I went.

I don't know much about the companions, as I stuck with Dogmeat throughout. Partially because I just liked him, partially because he doesn't count as a companion when it comes to the "Lone Wanderer" perk in the Charisma tree. So he allows you to have a companion to help a bit in combat, but not a lot, but can mule a fair amount of gear, and still get a damage resistance bonus plus extra carry weight from the perk.

I imagine other companions are more helpful in combat, and can offset your playstyle. Having a big tank if you're a distance shooter, or covering you from afar if you're an up close and personal brawler. And some probably can help with lockpick, etc.

I'd avoid taking any one skill too high this early in the game. Some of the most useful perks can be found in the first 1-3 perks of any particular skill. You may want to consider spreading your perks around early on, before investing heavily in a couple that match your main attributes. I'm not sure I ever grabbed all the perception perks, despite it being my main trait. Rifleman in PER and Gunslinger in AGI were probably some of the most helpful early on for boosting damage with non-automatic rifles and pistols. I took intelligence fairly high too, for the modding and hacking skills. Strength I took at least to the point of being able to craft/mod decent armor.

For damage resistance, 1st and 3rd perks in Endurance are helpful, 2nd in Intelligence to boost effectiveness of stimpacks.

But, it's really all about a) playing how you want to, and b) picking the right perks to go with your playstyle and weaponry of choice. Most of all, as long as you're having fun, you're doing it right!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

HardlyCapable13 (3 Days Ago), JockoPablo (2 Days Ago), Retro (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    IMG_0351.JPG

Accurate

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

Gink (3 Days Ago), HardlyCapable13 (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,430 Posts
    All this Fallout talk had me wanting to jump back in the wasteland. But thinking FO:NV, haven't gone back to that one in a long time.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

Gink (3 Days Ago), HardlyCapable13 (3 Days Ago)

Thanks
    I messed up my skill point distribution from the start, it seems.

I just finished the "Find Valentine" mission with not too much difficulty. Now I'm going to head back up to Sanctuary and explore the surrounding area for a while in hopes of getting some more skills (and junk) before I head back south to continue the story.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JockoPablo For This Useful Post:

Gink (2 Days Ago)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 750 Posts
    I'm sure you're not too bad off. You should have a good idea at least now what the weaknesses of your build are, and where to put your next few points. If you got through Find Valentine alright you're probably fairly on track for how far you are into the game. Just do some exploring and sidequests and pick up a couple more perks before diving too much deeper into main quests or strolling too far south and you should be good to go! There's quite a lot to do in the northern half of the map, you shouldn't get bored anytime soon.

Modding up your armor and weapons can help a lot too, though early on the benefits probably aren't as big as the immediate benefits of the damage resistance and gun damage increasing perks. For the most flexibility you'll need Armorer and Gun Nut perks, but they aren't absolutely required to mod things, just to build mods out of junk. IIRC you can use the workbenches with or without the perks, and add/remove mods from weapons/armor. So if you get lucky and scavenge weapons and armor that have mods attached, you can move them around to try and make your own gear a bit better. Of course mods can only be swapped onto the same type of guns / armor, so it can be a bit of a pain. IMO Armorer and Gun Nut are worth the points, but you can get by without them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

JockoPablo (2 Days Ago)

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16