Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Astronomy

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,423 Posts
    I'm going to a lecture at my 11 y/o's school tonight, given by one of its ex-pupils.
    The talk is by Professor Chris Lintott, the co-presenter of the BBC 'Sky at Night' programme. He is currently professor of Astrophysics at Oxford University.

What I'm looking forward to most is the school has it's own Observatory, state of the art telescope and astronomical camera, which we can try after the talk.

I just hope I don't show my kid up when I call it 'Astrology' and start referring to Sci-fi films as my point of reference!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (03-18-2016)

Thanks
    It's a busy time out there if anyone has had a chance to crook their neck in the right direction!

An amazing chance to see the Perseids at the moment. I've recently seen so many amazing trails shooting from North to South mainly. Even saw my first double meteorite the other night, as two tracked side by side at the same course/ speed/ duration. Amazing.

For you guys over the pond. Make sure you take some time out on the 21st to try and catch the Solar Eclipse. Well worth making the trip to see 'totality'. I once experienced it years ago, and it is the most incredible natural phenomina out there, and one that won't be around for ever (they have even calculated the last one seen from Earth).

Also, get a chance to send a message out to Voyager. 40 years since the rusty tin can left this fucked old rock we call home, and NASA are offering a chance to send a message out there across space. Get the kids to Tweet here.

I still love to just sit out at night and gaze the stars. It takes my mind off all the shit going on around this planet, and helps me forget how bad I am at R6:S! lol
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!!!"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Stains For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (08-03-2017), donhardeone (08-03-2017), Siggman (08-03-2017), TonkaToys (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the Voyager info share Stains! My kiddos will love that...as we all sit outside and stare at the stars a good bit.

They are both ECSTATIC about the upcoming eclipse (https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/) and been asking "is it soon" for like a month now!!! We only have to drive ~20 miles to be in the direct path!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donhardeone For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Stains View Post
    I still love to just sit out at night and gaze the stars.
    Used to live & work near Toulouse (south of France) and lived at the foot of the Pyrenees. House on a mountain hill, nearest village 10min away by car so surrounded by nature.
    Man, I spent nights with a glass of fine wine in my hammock gazing at the stars when the family was already sleeping: triangle of summer (Lyra/Aquila/Sygnus), Orion in full force, comets, Pegase during winter...
    It's been four years since I've returned to Belgium (work) and light pollution is horrible here.
    Sure damn miss those summer nights pretending I was Major Tom...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    @Donhardeone: Definitely do so! You're kids will love it. Saw one myself in august 1999 in Belgium. We went camping with a bunch of others to witness this.
    Nature suddenly went silent, dogs started barking in the distance. I remember I got goosebumps all of a sudden...
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Siggman; 08-03-2017 at 02:17 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

donhardeone (08-04-2017), Major Stains (08-03-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggman View Post
    @Donhardeone: Definitely do so! You're kids will love it. Saw one myself in august 1999 in Belgium. We went camping with a bunch of others to witness this.
    Nature suddenly went silent, dogs started barking in the distance. I remember I got goosebumps all of a sudden...
    Enjoy!
    That was the same one I saw, and you're right, all the birds stopped, it was amazing. Hard not to get goosebumps for sure.

Thanks
    That sounds amazing. Unfortunately I'd have to travel quite a bit for the full eclipse, though I heard that where I live we'll see about three quarters coverage.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadnos316 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (08-04-2017)

Thanks
    For the next one (full eclipse) here in W-Europe we'll have to wait till august 2026 and 2027. And plan a holiday in south of Spain or Portugal.
    Might be an idea to gather some W-European MP's around a campfire... without screens and controllers ;-)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Siggman For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (08-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Wow 2026! I'm in for a camp-out providing they don't have any more wildfires and you don't mind me bringing my zimmerframe!
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TonkaToys For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (08-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 814 Posts
    While we didn't manage to catch much of the Perseids this year, as they mostly occurred before dawn, rather than just late at night, and I didn't find myself up at 4am, we were fortunate enough to get invited to drive a wee bit north and camp out on some friends' property directly in the path of the eclipse yesterday.

Was foggy when I woke up at 7am yesterday, but burnt off by 8ish and had clear skies and an amazing view of the total eclipse, without having to battle the crowds that poured in.
    It was quite the experience, with the temperature dropping, the light dimming and getting a rather eerie tint to it. The short couple minutes of totality was breathtaking.

A lot of folks we know in our town were saying things like "Oh, it will be 98% coverage here, I'm not going to travel just for 2%", but after seeing it, I can tell you it's not a matter of %, you're either seeing the total eclipse or you aren't. I'm not sure I'd go to the lengths some folks did to get a view, but if anyone ever gets the chance to be in the path of totality during one of these, don't pass it up.

We had to take the back roads home to avoid the freeway and secondary highways jammed with out of town/state travelers who flocked here. I don't think it reached the 1 million visitors that were estimated to be coming, but I still have to wonder if Oregon has ever had quite so many people in it all at once. Can't think of too many other happenings in our fine state that have drawn so much attention. We had the car packed with water and snacks just in case worse came to worse, but were able to use our local knowledge to dodge all the gridlock and got back home in a normal amount of time.

It was an experience I will never forget, but more importantly, hopefully something my daughter will always remember fondly.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gink For This Useful Post:

DeadChaos (08-23-2017), Helmethead1031 (08-23-2017), Major Stains (08-24-2017)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast