Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    On my friend's list I've only seen Ellison and Twilson on the PS4 side. I've heard a couple of others show interest, so there should be more soon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Madlob75 For This Useful Post:

Major Stains (11-19-2013)

Thanks
    Goooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllll llllll!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sam007 For This Useful Post:

Madlob75 (11-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,546 Posts
    FIFA 14 (Next Generation)

Platform – Xbox One

Changes in game modes offered - None

Biggest question for games that are crossing over from the 360/PS3 era to the new XBO/PS4 is, are they a big enough improvement to make a purchase worth it. Simple question, not so simple answer.

If the answer you are looking for is simply, do these new next-gen versions make the past-gen versions look like 8-bit blocks, then no. You will not find a reason to make the move up. The graphical differences are noticeable but they mostly come in the form of more detailed and fluid animations rather than prettier player models. In the past when you would make a move past a defender, you knew you made the move simply because you executed the controller input and beat the defender. Now you know you made the move because you see every little part of the animation while executing the move.

The real difference is in gameplay. EA has hyped up their new Ignite Engine that will be used for all EA Sports titles. Like the visuals you may not see it at first, at least not as a big leap forward. But then look a little deeper and the enhancements are very noticeable.

In all sports games it is the individual player ratings that are supposed to matter. While over the last few generations, going back to the PS1 era, speed, acceleration, shot power and other physical/technical ratings did in fact matter, they were all that mattered. But there were also other ratings that reflected the mental side of the game. The problem that fans of sports gaming have had is, those mental attributes have always meant nothing. They were simply tacked on and meaningless numbers. Until now.

In the past I would always build a team around speed, finishing ability and passing. All other ratings be damned. I could have a player with 90 speed, 86 finishing ability as my striker, with a midfielder and defender with 80 speed and 85+ passing and I was set. I would dominate the CPU. Hell I got by using the lowest rated goalies.

Now the mental stats actually mean something and that effects the gameplay in a large way. That midfielder with 80 speed and a 89 long pass rating is still good. And can make some great long distance break out passes to catch the other team off guard. But if his Vision rating is a 53, well there will be times were you go for that long pass to an open attacker and see the pass go way to far and out of bounds, resulting in a turn over to the other team. Or a time were I know my go to striker is breaking and I cross the ball to him for a perfect header, only my strikers Attack Positioning rating is only a 58 and he ends up going to the wrong spot. It's frustrating, but so much more realistic. Have a certain player who has had a couple rough outings and is in bad form, you will see his play crumble on the field. Players moral is low because they haven't been given the play time they expected, they may just stink it up when they get on the field or they could go the other way to show you just how wrong you have been for not selecting them more often.

Ratings now matter. This alone is what I have always wanted in a sports title and it's finally here.

Then there is the difficulty. Sports gamers have an obsession with sliders. (Sliders are what you can adjust to tweak the gameplay difficulty to customize your experience in a far more detailed way compared to just selecting a basic level of difficulty.) Many end up tinkering with these sliders more than actually playing the game. I blame the previous games lack of importance on ratings for players. Now with the improved AI thanks to the use and importance of all ratings, I've actually been having fun with the default settings. I'm sure once I spend more time with the game and get better at it I will begin to adjust some sliders to give more of a challenge. But I have not had a sports title play so well out of the box on default settings since ...ever.

My time spent with the game has been exclusive to the Career Mode and Play Now. I can't yet speak to the online experience or the FUT mode. While I really do enjoy the career mode, outside of the vastly improved gameplay, the other half of actually managing your team is a little bit stale. It works, it can be fun but it is in need of an update. With the announcement this week that EA's Football Manager series will end with FM 2014, hopefully when FIFA 15 launches we will see some of that titles depth for career mode carry over.

4 out of 5

Update.
    Forgot to mention Kinect integration. For quick tactics that once relied on you quickly tapping the D-Pad to the right for offense and the left for defense, that has now been replaced with hands free commands, such as "mentality - attacking". Quicker and you never have to take your thumb off the left stick. Substitutions can be done this way as well, no more pausing to go into the menu and all done hands free. Big plus.

Update 2.
    Don't bitch out the refs too much, the game listens through Kinect. I was having a rough game and getting crap calls from the ref. Being me I kept yelling bullshit! After the match I had an in-game e-mail from the board telling me to cool off as ranting at the officials was becoming a distraction and taking away from all the good I had done for the club. That right there is awesome.
    Apparently if you do this the refs will inform other refs and they may blow calls for your team and give your opponent more calls.
    Last edited by Retro; 11-27-2013 at 08:28 PM.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retro For This Useful Post:

donhardeone (11-27-2013), Madlob75 (11-28-2013), Major Stains (11-27-2013)

Thanks
    Anyone still play FIFA 14? I've started playing it again on the PS4 but quickly realized why I stopped before -- I get crushed when I play online. I've played 4 games using the team I've built and lost every time, anywhere from 3-5 goals (the 5 goal loss was demoralizing). Anyone have success playing others? I'm currently division 8 using my built team against the computer, and 0-4 in division 10 online. My goal was to get to Division 9 online, but it is looking bleak.

Thanks
    I've stopped a while ago too. I'm trading this in for Thief on the 25th.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,029 Posts
    My boys love the game on PS3 (what put it on PS4... no way I'd never get a look in). I will probably eventually get it on PS4, or just wait another 8 months for FIFA 15 of course.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaToys View Post
    My boys love the game on PS3 (what put it on PS4... no way I'd never get a look in). I will probably eventually get it on PS4, or just wait another 8 months for FIFA 15 of course.
    FIFA 15 will be stellar!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Yeah I'm expecting radically different gameplay.
    -Charlie

Check out the Team MP World Map. Read about it here

PSN / uPlay: TonkaToys, Windows Live: T0nkaT0ys, Steam: Tonka_Toys, Twitch: TonkaToysUK, Origin: TonkaToys1

(I should just pick one and stick with it!)

Thanks
    I really hope the expand and improve the Manager/Career mode.

Thanks
    Freak, this is for you in case you miss it on chat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast